Send to Layout not working - Help please!

I seem to be having this issue also, but the Sketchup app names were not changed. I have SU 2015 in the Applications folder/ LayOut.app,
Sketchup.app
Style Builder.app
I didn’t have this problem on an older Mac but I bought an iMac recently and using 10.12.2 Sierra and no matter what I do
“send to LayOut is greyed out”. I can open Layout and open a SU file and in the Document Setup the ref. is correct but if I make changes to the SU file LayOUt doesn’t know that a change has been made. So they both Stand LO work they just aren’t linked.

Hi Miles-

Just so I’m clear, it sounds like you’re describing two different issues:

1. “Send to LayOut” is greyed out in SketchUp
  2. When you make changes to a SketchUp file, the changes aren’t reflected in the LayOut file that references that SketchUp model?

I will say that SketchUp 2015 is likely to have some issues running on Sierra, including the possibility of crashes.

-m

I’ve just installed Sketchup Pro 2015 on a new iMac. I’m having the same problems as Miles reports, greyed out “Send to LayOut” and Layout not updating from the .skp file.

Viewing similar problems in 2017 on the Forum I’ve tried using this suggestion for Terminal, “xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/SketchUp\ 2015” but it hasn’t solved the problems.

Is the only solution to this problem reverting the mac to El Capitan ? Oh no !

As has been mentioned multiple times, SketchUp 2015 is not supported for Sierra. Maybe you can downgrade your computer or you can upgrade to SU2017 which is supported for Sierra.

Thanks Dave
message understood, “search before you post” :open_mouth:.

I’ve looked up both sketchup and layout in the Activity Monitor as Marc suggested and found both apps are not running from the applications folder but from somewhere in, “Translocation…” space.

I have now updated the sketchup model in Layout successfully by right clicking on the view in Layout and choosing to Update Model Reference. In Sketchup the Send To Layout is still greyed out. That’s good enough for now.

I’ll be giving 2017 Pro a trial.

Well, that wasn’t specifically my intended message but if it works… :wink:

as mentioned elsewhere, I’ve fixed this by running from terminal (removing the quarantine that Sierra puts on drag installers):

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/SketchUp\ 2015

A guy this week did that (a) using sudo, and (b) recursively on every file below that directory to clear his, but mine worked just doing this.

I followed your example with Terminal but received this reply, “xattr: /Applications/Sketchup 2015: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine”

Is this the expected result in Terminal, the one you received ?

Layout just crashed when I used the text note tool. 2017 Pro trial starts today !

No, you missed the"" I front of the space between SketchUp and 2015

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Sketchup\ 2015

That’s what I pasted into Terminal, the reply in full is, “xattr: /Applications/Sketchup 2015: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine”.

Are you having success with Layout too ? I’m finding the text tools bring out the old beach ball.

w.

Please can someone shine a light on why layout is not working for me Ive tried adding xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Sketchup\ 2015 to the terminal and just get this

Last login: Fri Nov 3 11:51:03 on ttys000
Jos-iMac:~ glw$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Sketchup\ 2015
xattr: No such file: /Applications/Sketchup 2015
Jos-iMac:~ glw$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Sketchup\ 2017
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/Applications/Sketchup 2017’
Jos-iMac:~ glw$

and Ive added the sudo version of the code but my password just keeps being denied and then isn’t recognised, Any help would be greatly appreciated

You missed the capital ‘U’ in SketchUp. I notice that @Barry also made this mistake in a earlier post!

Ah, I love being able to edit my posts. :slight_smile:

Hi Barry,

The SketchUp to Layout icon is grayed out for me as well. I’ve tried using: sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/SketchUp\ 2017 and have had no luck. I’re restarted and tried it without “sudo” and still no change.

macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (16G1036)
SketchUp Pro 2017 Version 17.1.173

What else can I do?

Not sure it will fix your specific issue but you’ve missed two updates. Maybe you should update to the most recent version of SketchUp 2017 Pro and see what you get.

1 Like

Thanks DaveR. That worked!

1 Like

and if want AA back + a load of useful improvements then give v18 a run…

you can have both at the same time…

john

1 Like