Selecting takes ~5 seconds

Hi Sketchup community,

I realize I’m using hardware that’s a little old, but the computer runs fine when playing some light 3D games, like Hearthstone. Also, when moving the view around within SketchUp (via middle click), the view moves quite smoothly.

This is a very fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit. It is the Creator’s Update. It’s also a fresh install of SketchUp 2017, that reports it is up to date.

When I try to select anything – a small line, a flat surface, the default person that’s there in the architectural template – it takes around 5 seconds. This doesn’t sound like much, but most of how I use SketchUp involves selecting things, so this has a HUGE impact on my workflow.

Would an older version of SketchUp help maybe?

There are extensive threads on this issue - it seems to be a problem with Windows 10 and recent Windows Updates.
See for example Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

And Important Update on a few Potential SketchUp 2017 issues on Windows

2 Likes

Ah, I apologize for not searching harder. Thanks for pointing me towards those!

Likley SU2016 would run better with your Intel HD4000 graphics.
Older SketchUp Versions: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/60107

Be sure to update your graphics drivers to the latest available, if you have issues.

Links here:

1 Like

Here is how another user solved his HD 4000 issues:

1 Like

Thanks for both tips. I installed 2016, but the “5 seconds to select” bug is still present. I have the latest available driver from Intel directly: Version 10.18.10.4653, from 4/7/2017. Except for Selecting, SketchUp runs great, both 2016 or 2017.

Presumably this is a Microsoft thing. Hopefully Trimble are able to find a way around this…

You can use the right mouse to select and then ESC key to dismiss the context menu.

1 Like

That’ll do it! Thanks for the help. :slight_smile: I hope they sort out the root of the problem, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.