Right click copy/paste

There should be a copy paste from a right click.

1 Like

I posted a simple example of adding those commands to the context menu
(over in the Ruby API category):

https://forums.sketchup.com/clicks/track?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.sketchup.com%2Ft%2Fcode-example-add-some-edit-commands-to-context-menu%2F36701&post_id=129606&topic_id=36683

… and I like the way that SketchUp Free puts an edit toolbar at the top of the context menu.
The desktop SketchUp edition could benefit from something like this as well.

I’m not a fan of that approach at all. It’s great in theory but it doesn’t display the shortcuts the way menus in Windows usually do, meaning computer newbies don’t learn them as easily.

2018-01-31_13h17_58

<off-topic>I really don’t know why SU doesn’t show the universal Ctrl+Z for Undo and Ctrl+X for cut</off-topic>

1 Like

We who do not use shortcuts as much, are obviously in the context menu in the first place, to choose a command from the menu, not learn a keyboard shortcut.

Why should I (a 10 yr user) or other experienced users, suffer without a workflow enhancing feature, because some newbie(s) are too lazy to read the dang manual or print out the quick reference card and post it next to the monitor.

Positions like this are a policy of “pander to the newbie and deny ergonomy to the experienced user.”

Where is the universal law that says context menus are a tutoring device anyway ? They are not.

(I’d even like an application option to switch off the shortcut display in the context menu, as it’s just visual clutter for me, that my brain has to ignore.)

‘Scuse my passion here, but, I’m tired of hearing this TWADDLE that productivity enhancing features cannot be implemented because all UX must pander to the poor lil’ newbies.

What I said was not a theory ! It is a fact that it will be quicker to get to the main edit commands (less movement of the hand and arm = less carpal tunnel / less tendinitis of which I have suffered in the past from doing excessive CAD work.)

If it wasn’t a valid UX feature it would not have been implemented in the web edition. It condenses the context menu, and puts those common edit commands right at the top, where they can be used with a minimum of movement.

With regard to menus, SketchUp could also do what MS Office applications have done for years and have two levels of menus and such. Users can start out in “novice” mode, and switch later to “expert” mode (or whatever a good name is.) It already has novice toolbars, why not menus to go along with it ?

But do not force the rest of the professional world to forever run in novice mode !!!

A good UI doesn’t need a manual because it is self explanatory. Manuals explaining a UI are of the past. There can be manuals and tutorials describing different workflows and how to organize a project but how to interact with the program should be obvious from it.

I think every user use a menu primarily to click what’s in it, not to find a shortcut, but being reminded of the shortcut each time you open the menu is a great way to pick it up, with no effort needed. These cues should be visible in the UI itself so people can improve their workflow without having to read a manual.

I’m not pandering newbies at the cost of experienced users. I’m against having these commands in the menu in the first place as it a) discourages new users from learning shortcuts and b) clutters the interface for all uses (advanced or not).

Using a shortcut is much more ergonomic than pressing anything with the mouse, even if it’s really close to the current position of the cursor. Moving the mouse with precision onto a small clickable area, no matter how short the distance, puts more strain on the body than moving the fingers to a keyboard key. I suspect the web UI was designed with the intention to be used without a keyboard.

I my view having a big switch to toggle between novice mode and advanced mode is really quite stupid. It becomes a giant threshold to overcome; semi-advanced users would put off changing it and those that try it may even switch back because it adds to much new noise at one single time and hinders productivity in the beginning. I think gradually adding complexity, by installing new features as plugins and add toolbars independently, is a superior approach.

1 Like