Repeated crashing with Mac SketchUp 2021

Yes I added my greenby3 email in the bugsplat. Let me try again in case I am doing it incorrectly.

I just resent another bugsplat.
Is there another way do send it in?

In addition to the SketchUp bugsplat window, there is the usual Mac OS crash dialog. When that appears copy the text that it shows, and send that to me.

You can directly message me by clicking my avatar, and then click the blue Message button.

Just messaged it to you. The first half since it’s too long. I can send the last half if you need it.

Reloaded the latest vray for 2021 and last night with a quick test drive it seems better. Will get a workout this week as I setup a catalog of rendering for a clients buildings…

I think the root cause of my crashes has something to do with using multiple monitors and arranging tools onto the other displays. I’ve used AppCleaner to cleanse all instances of Sketchup-related apps, deleted every plist file I can find, purged the trash, redownloaded the DMG file with the update, tried a different model, launching from Terminal, etc. Heck, even launching from Terminal causes the crash! What’s interesting is ALL of this started happening once I moved the Materials panel to a different display and then clicked on the “brick” icon.

If you’re interested in the terminal output …

Crash A - From Terminal

Crash B - From Terminal - After Opening via Applications

Crash C - From Terminal

Wow. Amazing. Send in those Bug Splats when they happen! Folks like Sir @colin are watching. I’ve learned a great deal from working with him today and even have a few new tricks that will help me in my projects. Thanks to him, my crashes are now a think of the past. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:crown::dagger: Sir Colin for president!

Sadly, only natural born citizens can be the US President, and I’m not even a citizen at all.

1 Like

All, I’m a new user, running what SU indicates is latest 2021 version, on Mac Powerbook (11.2.1), but still getting spinning ball, repeatedly. Having to force quit, restart SU constasntly. I’ve read the suggestions, but…don’t see how to address this.

All the crashing issues mentioned above are instant crashes, not spinning beachball cursors.

What sorts of actions do you do that lead to the cursor spinning?

Did you mean MacBook Pro? The Powerbook hasn’t been made or sold for about 15 years and certainly won’t run macOS 11.2.1!

The last models (ultracool whizbang G4) were introduced 20 years ago. I had one of the earlier ones with a trackball, might have been model 160. That was firmly in the 20th century.

Of course he did. That was obvious to even you, since you pointed out he’s running Big Sur.

Thanks,

Yes, MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports).

1 Like

Hello, I’m following this discussion with much interest as I have been experiencing this issue - my crashes occur when clicking on the 'brick" materials tab, although I had not associated it with this specific event before. It was more that it would occur with certain models and materials.

When this first started happening to me, I would delete the .plist file and then I would be up and running again. However, it would take more and more attempts to work until this fix finally stopped working altogether. I reinstalled from scratch and it seem to be working again, but I am avoiding loading older models.

I have a couple of questions:

1. My current version is 21.0.392 which I installed using the link in this thread which downloads the “21.0.1” installer dated Dec 09 2020. Can someone please confirm if this is the correct version? Out of curiously I looked at my original install via Time Machine and see I was using this version all along. this would suggest it did not fix the issue as it was happening before with the new version.

2. I ran the command:
    /Applications/SketchUp 2021/SketchUp.app/Contents/MacOS/SketchUp
    But it returned an error message (maybe similar to the one posted by tues in this thread). Is there somewhere I can send this text to get feedback?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

I wrote this later post, with what I had figured out after the first post:

One thing I learned was that if you had crashed with 2021.0, updating to 2021.0.1 in the normal way could leave you still with a crashing issue. For most people that was solved by deleting the existing SketchUp 2021 folder in Applications, before copying in the 2021.0.1 version.

Even that didn’t fix all cases. For some of those I am able to see whether SketchUp is being run normally by macOS, by looking at the crash logs. Have you sent in any bugsplats that I can check? I couldn’t find any with your email address, but if you can tell me a date and time you sent one in, or even easier, if you know your public IP address, I could track them down. Or, just make sure to include your email address in the next one that you send in.

Depending on what I can see in the crash log, I may have another suggestion of something for you to try.

If you look at a Time Machine entry that is earlier than January 17th, and it says SketchUp is 2021.0.392, that’s an oddity with Time Machine. Before that date it should show as 2021.0.338.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had sent several BugSplat reports (and clicked ‘cancel’ on even more) in succession around 5:30-6:00AM Pacific time this morning. I included my email in at least one of them.
I noticed that out of all of them, only 1-2 directed me to this forum.

Is it safe to share my ip address on the forum or can I DM you? It’s on a MacPro 5,1 running OS10.14.6

With regards to time machine, I may have gotten the dates/version numbers confused as I was expecting to see v2021.0.0 vs. v2021.0.1

I found one. You use a different combination of periods in your email address when writing in the forum. Fortunately, there were not a lot of bugsplats from someone named Evan…

I do see one of the known issues, and will private message you with something to try.

My sketch up 2021 keeps crashing on my Mac book pro every time I try start it up!