Repeated crashing with Mac SketchUp 2021

And did you tried what is said in post 67:

Do you see any bugsplat windows when you try to reopen SketchUp? If you do, can you send one of them in?

Another place that I now check, after installing a new version of SketchUp on Mac, is the main HD library for any sketchup “parts” that should only exist in the User Library.

Mac usually offers you the choice of either installing in your ~Library or installing “for all users”. Even if you have the choice offered to you ( not always the case ) and you correctly install for only yourself, it is worth the 5 extra minutes to search the main library for any errant files.

same here. got the crash for the first and second times after trying to click the brick. After the second time it crashed every time I launched sketchup. I tried a lot of suggested fixes, but only colin’s terminal workaround has worked for me so far. I only started using sketchup after 2021.0.1 was even released.

Thank u! New to MacBook Pro and after installing the subscribed version of Sketchup Pro 2021, experienced exactly the same problem - when trying to colour my sketch, Sketchup crash and worse of all, can’t send the bug fix and no bug fix number was generated so I can’t get help from Sketchup.

Called Apple Support and they helped me to navigate based on your post to find the file to be deleted. Still didn’t work so tried your last option of duplicating the file. Now Sketchup works!

Thanks much for the tip!

I hope things are still ok for you, but the last bugsplat you sent in showed SketchUp was running from the disk image file. Can you make sure that you are running the copy of SketchUp that is in Applications, and if the disk image is still mounted, eject it so that you don’t accidentally open that copy.

Yes, that bugsplat was sent before I did a duplicated copy. After I did the duplicated copy, I have no more issues. I have also deleted the old copy in Applications and renamed the copy. Seems to work now. Will monitor and see!

After several failures, I managed to avoid crashing on launch by creating a new admin user in my mac.
It’s a little annoying to share file and folders, but it’s the only way I found

That indicates there is something installed or configured in your personal user account that is causing issues.

That is one of the combinations that could cause a problem, but it was usually solved by installing SketchUp while signed in as the non-admin user. Or, duplicating the SketchUp folder inside Applications, while signed in as the guest user.

Did you send in any bugsplats when it was crashing? There are other fixes that might have worked.

I send severel bugsplats (more than 30!).
I tried most of fixes I found on the forum.
Unexpectedly, one of them (deleting all .plist SU-related, just before reinstalling SU) worked.
But only for 1 day. From the day after, the same fix didn’t work anymore!

Now I’m migrating all my apps to the new admin user, one by one, trying to find out the guilty one…
I’ll post any news.

Thanks

Just not undestanding: you are suggesting to install SU by a NON-ADMIN user?
That sounds strange to me.

On Mac there isn’t an installer, you drag the folder to Applications. What we found is that if you as a signed in admin do the copying of the folder, the guest user then does not have permissions to use SketchUp. If they do the folder copying, they get correct permissions.

Wouldn’t this be considered something like a bug that should be fixed? I have not even heard of this being an issue with any other software package out there. If most software can avoid this type of installation permissions issue, then I think SketchUp Pro should.

The 2021.0.1 update was mainly to fix that issue, but if you had previously run into the problem, you may still have had to do particular steps. For example, copying the 2021.0.1 folder into Applications, and letting Finder replace the existing folder, need not fix things. For most cases, deleting the existing 2021.0 folder, and copying the 2021.0.1 folder into Applications would fix the issue.

To take care of the underlying issue, the next update of SketchUp has some changes that should prevent the initial problem from occurring. That is, you could intentionally install as one user and open SketchUp as another user, and still it will be ok. I can’t tell you a date for when the next update will be released, so for now try the deleting the existing folder, and copying in a new 2021.0.1 folder.

@archisasa1 Did you add your name or email to any of the bugsplats you sent in?

Edit: Here is the 2021.0.1 release notes mention of the Mac crashing issue:

• (Mac) Fixed a crash when logged in as a non-admin then accessing the Colors palette.
1 Like

I usually work on SU, logging in as an admin user
Should I use another user to avoid crashing?

Can you tell me the date and time of any of your bugsplat reports, or what name or email address I can search for? I can’t find any reports under your email address. When I see those I should be able to tell you how to fix the crashing.

Thanks

Hello,

I suddenly started to have the same problem - after using the textures tool, SU shut down, I reinstalled it and once I clicked on it again, shut down again. Since then, impossible to open it.
I’m on a MAC, running with Mojave, with an Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB graphics card.
I can’t find the .plist file in the Preferences folder, even when showing hidden files, so that’s very strange, no ?
I tried copying the folder, creating aliases, but didn’t work.
The solution with the terminal provided by Colin does work for now, and the first welcome screen appears. But I was on trial version awaiting for my company to give me the license, I have 10 days remaining but it tells me that I’m using it on too many machines and need to authorize it. Is there a way to get around this ?
Thank you!

Did you send in any busplat reports?I may be able to make more suggestions when I see those.