Push-pull issue

I’ve used Sketchup for years off and on. I’ve created a model and am attempting to create doors and windows in the walls. After I create a rectangle, click on it, select push-pull and move it through the wall, it doesn’t recognize the backside of the wall and I can’t create an opening. I’ve tried all the methods I know to resolve this and need help! Thanks in advance,
Marc

Upload the .skp file so we can see what you are working with. The most common reason for this is the inside face isn’t parallel to the outside face.

The second most common is that you are working outside the context of the wall.

1 Like

That makes sense to me. But I pulled the “tape measure tool” from the edge of the wall to define the opening. I’ll try hiding all intersecting walls to isolate the wall I’m trying to penetrate and revert back.
Thanks for your quick response!
Marc

Good luck. If you’d share the .skp file as I asked we’d be able to identify the problem ina few seconds and get you sorted out.

That didn’t work. The rectangle will pull out from the wall and through the wall, but won’t stop at the other side of the wall and clear the opening.
Do you have any other thoughts?
Thanks again,
Marc

My thoughts would be to attach your model.

1 Like

Oh! I didn’t notice your first request to share the file. I’ll certainly do that now.
Thanks,
Marc

BBS wall section.skp (598 KB)

Box was correct. The rectangle you drew for the opening is outside the group of geometry for the wall. Here I’ve pulled the rectangle away from the wall group. Open the group for editing before drawing the rectangle for the opening.

One obvious clue that your rectangle isn’t inside the wall group is the heavy profile edges around it. If those edge were actually dividing the wall into separate regions, the edges would not be thick profile edges.

Also get ride the large flat box positioned inside the wall.

I would recommend turning off Length Snapping in Model Info>Units.

2 Likes

I’ve done a gif of what Dave has shown.
Keep an eye on the blue bounding boxes, closed groups/components and the gray dotted bounding boxes, groups/components open for editing.
GIF 5-01-2022 2-44-07 AM

3 Likes

I expect part of the problem is the nesting. You have that wall grouped and in a larger group with a bunch of loose geometry. Generally it’s not good practice to group loose geometry with other groups.

1 Like

Just looked at Tags, you’ve got some issues there too.

Good catch. I hadn’t even look at tags or unused stuff yet.

Fixed incorrect tag usage.
Screenshot - 1_4_2022 , 9_51_07 AM
Purged unused stuff from model. Nearly 50% file size reduction.
Screenshot - 1_4_2022 , 9_51_30 AM

This is so great! I’ve spent 2-4 hrs trying to figure out what I have done wrong. Thank you so much for your expert help. I really appreciate it.
Take care,
Marc

1 Like

Thank you very much Dave! I really appreciate it. There is not much worse than not being able to solve a Sketchup issue.
Take care,
Marc

1 Like

Hi Dave,
I’m afraid I’ve totally lost control of my drawing. A few iterations ago I foolishly clicked OKAY to a notice that said I was about to merge with hidden geometry. I did this a few times! From there forward things began to go out of control. I felt I had a solid drawing up until that point. Now unless you have an answer, it seems I might have to start all over from the beginning. I’ll attach my file and a screenshot of the notice I received. What do you advise I do from here?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Marc

Sketchup file

Is it too late to undo your operations?

I’ll look at the file and see what I can see.

OK. So the first thing I see is that you are using tags incorrectly and apparently expecting them to provide separation between entities which they don’t. You have all sorts of geometry connected that shouldn’t be.

I also purged unused stuff from the file.
Screenshot - 1_9_2022 , 6_40_38 PM

It doesn’t look like you’d need to start over from the very beginning but it would be best to start over with the loose geometry and get back to using groups and components correctly.

I do see some other things that need fixing. For example the frame underneath the floor is all one mass of geometry. I don’t know if you need it to be the individual pieces that would make up the frame. If you do, each piece should be modeled as a component instead of as a large panel with holes cut in it. There also should be no exposed blue back faces.

Things like this indicate to me that you are waiting too long to go 3D. Instead of drawing the thing out like a 2D plan, you should be thinking 3D almost immediately.

Here’s another case. If you need to get information out of the model regarding each of the three pieces that make up that beam shown selected, each one should be a component. If you don’t need to detail it as three separate pieces, there’s no point drawing in the lines that make it look like three pieces.

Thanks Dave! I’ve got a project Monday and Tuesday and won’t get back to this model until Wednesday. I’ll study up on what you have shared with me and attack it then.
Best,
Marc

1 Like

What I have been attempting to accomplish is to show the 7 prefabricated parts of this structure. The structure is manufactured in 7 parts and shipped to the building site for assembly. The “floor framing” tag is the one group that is created on-site and not pre-manufactured. If not using tags, how should I go about creating these distinctions that I can then use in the detail pages (yet to be created) to insert measurements and a full presentation of the project? I am planning on exporting the drawing I am working on into Layout as soon as I can create a solid drawing.
Thanks!
Marc