Project PNG orthophoto texture onto DXF imported surface troubleshoot?

I have imported a DXF (3.88MB) 3D model created in Agisoft Photoscan. I have then used the Sandbox stamp tool to alter the surface.

Now i would like to apply a texture to the surface. I imported a PNG (19.7MB) orthophoto also created in Agisoft Photoscan as an image. I positioned the image over the surface, exploded the image, sampled the projected texture, and used the paint bucket tool to apply it to the surface.

SketchUp Pro seems to process the action quite easily, but the finished effect is fragmented. About 50% of the surface triangles have the texture and the other 50% are a base colour of green.

I have uploaded an image of the result.

If anybody could help it would be most appreciated?

Project the texture upon the Surface of the model.

Position Texture Tool: Projecting a material — SketchUp Help

At a guess it looks like the Green sections are holes.

It’s a little hard to see exactly what you’ve got going on. Are the internal edges intended to be visible on all those faceted objects, or is that just supposed to be smooth, rolling terrain?

If the latter, and assuming all the faces are actually present as @Box mentioned, you should soften/smooth the surface (using either the Soften/Smooth dialog or Ctrl-Eraser) before applying the projected texture to avoid shattering the image.

-Gully

Understand the Faces depicted in the image of your model are different entities than a Surface.

Face Entities — SketchUp Help
http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/94839

Surface Entities — SketchUp Help
http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/115411

Soften Edges Dialog Box — SketchUp Help
http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/2462259

@Geo : That was the method i used.

@Box : There are no holes as far as i can see, it’s a complete 3D mesh. Check the shaded image.

@Gully_Foyle : Please check the images attached. The shaded image doesn’t show any holes.

I have tried it will smoothing prior, as the images may help to present.

Thanks, i am new to SketchUp.

So is there a way for me to convert from faces to surfaces, or will that not help?

This is max soften/smooth, then the texture projected.

Show us a Monochrome image, it is probably reversed faces.

We’re at the point where we need to look at your model, or a smaller facsimile with the same behavior.

-Gully

Most likely your DXF import is a Component.
You must apply the projected material while within the editing context of the component, not from outside.

Double-click on the component to open its editing context.
Sample the projected image, it’s OK that it’s grayed out.
Apply the material to the surface.
Click outside the component’s bounding box to close its editing context.

Examples:

Component Painted from Outside
Notice the image breakup.

Component Painted While Inside Its Editing Context

Yeah it’s a component, it has “edit component” when i right click on it.

I tried double clicking to open it’s editing context. Now it only allows me to apply the texture to each individual face, but the issue still seems to occur.

Is that right or is there a way to apply it it to all while still being in the editing context of the component?

While outside the editing context of the component, use the Soften Edges Dialog tools to Soften/Smooth the mesh of individual triangular Faces into one Surface.

Then apply the material while editing the component.

And it should all be the White side not the Blue/gray side.

Yeah i tried that, it still seems to come out the same.

How can i change that?

When i import the model it comes in with the correct axis, but the blue/grey side is on the positive z axis, and the white is on the negative.

I can export in various formats from Agisoft Photoscan.

Export mesh
Wavefront OBJ (.obj)
3DS models (
.3ds)
COLLADA (.dae)
Stanford PLY (
.ply)
STL models (.stl)
Autodesk DXF (
.dxf)
Autodesk FBX (.fbx)
Universal 3D models (
.u3d)

Export texture
JPG
TIFF
PNG
BMP
OpenEXR
PGM, PPM

I tried KMZ intially, which comes with the texture pre-applied, but when i tried to render with v-ray it didn’t appear.

You apply a projected texture to a “surface,” not a face (yes, I see your earlier request that the distinction be clarified). A face is the thin, thin skin stretched over a series of three or more edges that bound a completely enclosed area. All elements of the face lie on a single plane, meaning the edges that bound a face are coplanar.

A “surface” is a network of faces, along with their bounding edges, on which the internal edges are softened/smoothed so they don’t show, leaving the network of faces looking like a continuous, smooth contour. For the projected texture to appear continuous across the contoured surface, it must not be broken up by visible edges (there are other ways to fit a texture to a faceted surface where the internal edges are desired, which I presume in your case they are not.

-Gully

Two things…

1. We’ll get this done quicker if you’ll share the file.

2. How far is the model from SketchUp’s Origin? [0,0,0]