Problem with saving, I would really appreciate some help

I have an assignment due soon with Sketchup for Schools. However, Sketchup has been giving me a lot of problems recently. The first one is, every time I try to save Sketchup, it gives me a notification saying: We’re having an issue reaching Google Drive. Please download a backup file. While you try that, we’ll be working on this issue. This problem is urgent, as I cannot save any work I have just done, and I need a way to save it. I have tried many things like uninstalling and reinstalling sketchup and downloading a backup file (which didn’t work either). Also, my sketchup is very laggy, and it keeps freezing up after 30 seconds of work. I would sincerely appreciate it if someone could help me! Thank you!

You might start by purging your file of unused components and then unused materials. Then you should be able to download the file to your computer.

I will try that, thank you.

I have just tried your solution, it would not even let me purge the unused materilas

Did you try purging unused components first? If you have materials associated with components you might have added to the model and later deleted, those materials won’t purge until you purge the unused components. That’s why I suggested purging unused components before purging unused materials.

I am ashamed to say this, but I have no idea how to purge unused components. Also, I am nervous that purging them would delete something that i need in the model. If you would like, I can send you a picture of the mode for refrence.

A picture won’t really help. If you download the file to your computer so you can share the .skp file that would help.

As far as purging unused components, open the Components panel, click on the house icon so you are looking at the In Model components and click the recycle button at the bottom.

The only components that will get purged are ones you aren’t using in the model space.

Ok thank you I will try that

Ahhh, I sincerely appreciate the helpful photo. After purging the components and materials
, I recieved the same message as last time, unfortunately.

Also, I just tried a new save-as, and it tole me: Error renaming model

Have you tried downloading it to your computer?

Downloading Sketchup for Schools? Or just the file, because I have tried to do a save as, and it gave me another error message. Also, on a chromebook, I cannot download sketchup, I believe.

Download the SketchUp model file.

Click on the menu button in the top left corner of the SketchUp screen.

Then click on Download.
Screenshot - 12_21_2020 , 12_49_48 PM

Should I download it as a 2021 or 2020 sketchup?

I have successfully downloaded it to google files, bu when i try to open it, it tells me no results are found for opening it with an app

update: now trying to open it from the sketchup for schools app

How big is the file?

To be honest, I forgot to check when i downloaded it (i apologize), but now i am trying to figure that out

I just attempted to open it from the sketchup for schools app and the entire thing crashed when i saved it. I just looked back, and it saved what i had done, but the entire app had to crash just for a save