Preferences Dialog won't open / Explaining the magic key combination

Various dialogs can get lost offscreen, Preferences and Model info being the most common.
This can often be fixed by using the magic key combo that has been passed down through the ages by mystics and sages or by anyone who understands the basics of windows key navigation.
The magic combination is often written as
Press alt and space together, then tap m, then tap any arrow key, then without clicking, move the mouse around until the dialog appears.
This combination is easily explained.
Alt and Spacebar together brings up the maximize/minimize/close menu on whatever window has focus.
m then selects Move in that menu and changes the cursor to the 4 arrow symbol over the title bar of the dialog (where m is the default in your language for move)
tap any arrow will attach the cursor to the title bar (the other option here is to click and hold the mouse and it will drag it into view, but you risk missing the title bar and grabbing nothing.)
moving the mouse without clicking moves it into view.
Click to finish drops the dialog at that point.

This is a demo of those keystrokes with the dialog on screen, this shows what is happening offscreen. Hopefully this will make it easier for people to remember.
Off screen dialog

4 Likes

I’ll add an excellent clearly explained graphic/text version from @dezmo

Follow this guide exactly after opening: Menu>>Window>>Preferences

1. Hold down the ALT key. Hit SPACEBAR.
  2. Release ALT key
  3. Hit M (Move). (Note: assuming you have English windows otherwise you may need to replace “M” with a localized start letter, e.g. “L” in French)
  4. Hit one of arrow keys
  5. Move your mouse around (without pressing any mouse key) until you see the missing window.
  6. Press left mouse button on the desired place
2 Likes

You can also try:
Hold down ⊞Win +Shift
and hit or (repeatedly)
(Windows Key + Shift + left or right Arrow keys )
for moving “missing” windows between multiple monitors.

1 Like

It’s not always the start letter, this is in Dutch:

2 Likes

I know, that’s why I said the default letter for Move, hoping that people would understand that it was whatever was appropriate for their regional settings. But perhaps I should have been clearer.
But you’ve covered that now if people ever read this far.

1 Like