Out of the Box

Just to follow on, you can see there is a rather bad joint in the middle, I would rather make it a nice smooth curve, this one I made just by chopping part off and joining them together.
Bad joint

5 Likes

As a mask i would prefer it this way, especially around the nose area, a rather sharp change. A smooth top ā€¦ , yes. (just thinking)

oh yeah thatā€™s a nasty joint. Iā€™d never do something like that! (wish I could do that well).

1 Like

Yep me too, i wanted the ridge but I would prefer it more pronounced, i should have bent it more before I chopped it. I wanted it with a nose like a beak. Iā€™ll work a new one when I get to it.

1 Like

Very cool!

A bit of a work in progress, its actually me working out the logistics of something I am building. It will be a mixture of glass work, metal work and 3d printing. It will eventually be built into a stained glass panel, much more sculptural than the average door panel. This is just to get my head around the structure, the detail and the rest of the design will expand from here.

15 Likes

Iā€™m just curious, what is the finished size going to be?

Not big, only about 1ā€™ or 300mm tall.

4 Likes

Just playing while waiting for a delivery.
Yoyo

7 Likes

Made me think of this. :smiley:

6 Likes

I wonder how well it would work as a yoyo. Probably make terrible noises and rip flesh from your hands.

I imagine thereā€™s a certain subset of the population who would enjoy that.

Could you 3D print it with enough mass to make a decent yoyo?

Definitely, you could also pause the print and fill it if you wanted.

2 Likes

That lighthouse is so cool! Love it.

1 Like

Got a bit carried away after making a gif to explain to someone how to put together multiple solids.

Pipe grid

13 Likes

I can only imagine what my wifeā€™s hair would have looked like if she had used your rollers, Box.

6 Likes

I just wish I had a printer that could print dissolving support so I could print it. And Iā€™ll say print again just because.

2 Likes

A few people on fb seem to find this interesting so Iā€™ll throw it in here.
Itā€™s a method for using solids and outershell to create a ā€˜maskā€™ that you can intersect with a face, this produces a complex single shape that doesnā€™t need a whole bunch of edges cleaned up to make it one face.

HexOhex

By the way, I have a FB persona ā€˜Box Saysā€™ simply so I can respond in situations where the Box page itself canā€™t. Anyone who has asked to friend it shouldnā€™t be offended if I havenā€™t responded, I generally donā€™t see them and it doesnā€™t friend anyone.

10 Likes

The 2020 Bauble, the thin skin of normality has cracked and is barely holding together.

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been meaning to make a mask for ages, had a quick doodle today to rough out the shape, would like to eventually give it a toothy mouth that takes replaceable filters. Obviously not breathable at the moment.

Mask

7 Likes