Out of the Box

I meant to throw this in too since @endlessfix had me doing an infinite number of bauble versions.

Quick Bauble

12 Likes

This is driving me nuts, every time I sit down to have a coffee I’m compelled to make a different shaped bauble.

8 Likes

Me too! I can’t stop, I’m avoiding my work, I’m neglecting my family.

9 Likes

Nice, a good mix. My problem is I make them then don’t bother saving them.
I had another coffee and it led to this apple.

9 Likes

Nice. Good looking render too. Are you stitching the first spiral path manually from the hidden geometry of the final shape? Or are you starting with a spiral sphere then manipulating the spiral from there? I only save the ones I try to print.

1 Like

Yes pretty much this, I make the shape I want and take a sliver from it as you describe. The benefit of that is you get a controlled mesh of geometry for the face that can easily flip and match. If you try to skin the spirals you can end up with faces that won’t blend nicely.

3 Likes

I made these ornaments for Christmas for my kids. They were 3D printed in color by Shapeways.

7 Likes

I wanted to do a quick test of Twilight Hobby with SU2021 so I knocked up yet another chess set.
A very simple one made from one single component, the one twist on the edge. Very quick to make.

12 Likes

I have successfully scrolled through all 328 posts and I can honestly say I am: 1) impressed; 2) inspired; 3) jealous; 4) afraid; 5) wondering what I have been doing in SketchUp for the last 14 years.
Box, this is awesome work. Thank you so much for sharing.

10 Likes

Thanks, Doug ( i assume from your profile) I happened to see your post a few hours ago just before dealing with some ancient parent issues and meeting a friend for dinner.
Thanks.
t’s a small word, but should never be taken lightly. Doesn’t need to be shouted, doesn’t even need to be heard, just quietly spoken in your head.

1 Like

These are cool shapes like always.

For the less able there used to be an extension that would create these sorts of shapes. I had a look for it and although I can find the source website, the file no longer seems to be available.

Better to use The Box Method, anyway.

4 Likes

A bit late in the season, but a bit of Christmas aftermath doodling.
The Steampunk Bauble.

16 Likes

you won’t print it, right?

1 Like

I wish I had a printer that could.
The individual parts are one solid component.

6 Likes

A very quick coffee break start to a SUbD hand.
Fingers

8 Likes

It’s coming to take you away, ho ho ,ha ha hehe…

2 Likes

If you are wondering where the glass is, it’s in my hand!

12 Likes

Cheers then!

2 Likes

Excellent show of skills! Cheers!

1 Like

I really do get asked to design some strange things. These are parts for a heat exchange unit, there is method to the madness, apparently.

13 Likes