Out of the Box

A standard steel wheel glass cutter and 40 or so years of experience.

2 Likes

Seemed like pretty clean cuts for thick glass like that, so your experience is obviously coming in handy.

1 Like

My party trick way back when I was an apprentice was to cut beer bottles into spirals by hand.

5 Likes

Last one of this, just throwing this in for a better real world view rather than the staged one above.

15 Likes

Very nice indeed!
I also like that 3D ā€œNot Facing Cameraā€ plant in the back.

btw, do you use turpentine when cutting the glass? Or some other liquide, (not meaning beer though)?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my long suffering basil, it looks a touch windswept.

As for turpentine, yes ish, depends on the country, white spirit, mineral turpentine, turps, machine oil, sewing oil, basically just about any thin liquid will do it. It mostly keep the wheel lubed and the score ā€˜coolā€™, many a time Iā€™ve simply used glass cleaner.
But the main point it it make a big difference.

2 Likes

@Wo3Dan is probably referring to the trick of cutting bottles with a string soaked in a flammable liquid, setting it on fire and dumping the thing in cold water.

No, I was not. A way to cut glass with a steel wheel glass cutter is with turpentine. @Box only mentioned the cutter. Made me wonder, since heā€™s the expert.

1 Like

The old burning string trick does work but I wouldnā€™t want to drink all the bottles it took to get one to work properly. Not in one sitting.
Heat and cold was one of the early methods for cutting glass, you would place a hot poker on the glass and make a small crack and then try to get it to follow the poker. Not the most efficient or controlled method.
The fancy bottle cutters they used to sell on the TV way back use hot and cold too. The bottle would be rotated against a stationary ā€˜cutterā€™ then over a candle then rubbed with ice. Worked every time perfectlyā€¦ on the TV. But the theory is sound. The cutter simply creates a flaw in the glass and you have to encourage the two parts to separate. This is the same with flat glass or bottle. And I can assure you that no buglar ever cut a circle in a window and pulled it out in one piece.

5 Likes

I think Iā€™ve pushed the level of detail about as far as you can go on a basic printer.

18 Likes

Iā€™m quite pleased with the way the lettering shows up.

13 Likes

Are some of them without glass wall inside? It certainly looks that way.
I like the way the sphere shaped one is lightening the world (table).

Yes these tiny ones are pure print, no glass.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the basic method I use for the shaped ones. Solid tools can be extremely useful in certain situations. You can do this with intersect but the cleanup can get fiddly.
Note: There are long pauses that I edited out as both tools take time.
Sorry, I forgot to save this without the facebook watermark.
Diamond Mesh

19 Likes

A quick concept chair made with basically the method above. Not sure how I would make it out of wood yet.

7 Likes

I couldnā€™t orbit around your chair!? A bug?
ā€¦
Doh, itā€™s a zoomed in image Iā€™m looking at.

1 Like

The truth is if I let you orbit around it you would see that the thing would topple over backwards if you sat in it. Needs more work to be a viable design.

Chair orb

2 Likes

I started making a Covid Mask, Iā€™ve got a feeling Iā€™m missing something.

11 Likes

Uhā€¦? Could it be that a filter is missing? Iā€™m not sure though.

Is this going to be printed real (human) size?

Not this one, it was sort of experimental and quite rough, has a few holes in it. But I like the concept and probably will make a series of full size ones.

1 Like