Out of the Box

Well I couldn’t speak for its comfort but it’s a beautiful model nonetheless!
Would you consider doing a short tutorial on how you did it?

It’s just a grid and true bend.

That’s gorgeous. Can I ask, what’s a true bend?

TrueBend…

You should also install this supporting Lib…

2 Likes

Thank you!

A little morning coffee doodle and a good example of how a ‘Non Solid’ can be printable.The whole thing is made from just two components, the red square and the blue bar. They have simply been arrayed, bent, rotated and bent again using true bend. This creates a whole bunch of unique solids that will be recognised by most printer software as a printable object. No need for exploding and trying to make solids these days.

10 Likes

It’s in your printer now?

My home printer is too small for that sort of detail unfortunately. To fit it all into a 100mm cube the grid wouldn’t really be printable. But I could print it as 24 sections.

1 Like

I was worried that I was relying on True bend too much and had forgotten how to model manually, so I made this as a test.
Top half is Truebend, bottom half is a manually constructed array of carefully scaled and positioned components.
Now if only I had a printer that could print this level of detail.

5 Likes

How much faster was True Bend?

Ahh now there’s a question. The reality of that geometry is that making it from an array is infinitely quicker, just a bit more fiddly working out the scale, array arcs etc.
The truebend half was made using 740 components, each hex was actually made from 6 comps. It was overkill, but many of my doodles are, and took about 6 hours to bend, but I was doing something else while it worked away. It took so long to compute it made me question why I was bothering and it made me test the other way. This specific PC is rather limited and I’m familiar with waiting for it to finish.
So, like anything else in SU, there are many ways to skin a cat, sometimes the cat needs a degree in advanced mathematics and sometimes the cat needs to be very patient.

4 Likes

Whoa! I could have done it faster with a pipe wrench :wink:

What cat is that, that waits patiently to be skinned? :astonished:

2 Likes

Cats are so vain if you told them your had a better replacement skin for them they would lay back and purr while your skinned them.

But then of course there is schrodinger’s cat, does it have a skin or more disturbingly, is it wearing it!

1 Like

I wouldn’t know, I’m more a dog person.

1 Like

I posted this earlier as a tip in another thread, since then I have realised it isn’t a standard method, so I thought I should throw it in here.
Cross%20Vault

15 Likes

Thank you for sharing how you made those “quick rings” (May 18). I’ll check out your FB page, too. You learn a lot just by watching vids like these.

The birdcage is awesome! Love the inner meshing. Nice design.
Chain Detail - Way cool and beautiful!
Radial Vase - Very nice! Love the detail design work.
I’m looking thru your gallery page…you do a lot of very impressive detail work. Many of these pieces are very beautiful! I put a “like” on my favorites (vs “liking” every one). Can’t believe how fast you can do these!

3 Likes

Here’s a little collection from my doodling the other day.

The Render.

Oddball
The Blue Skin.

Oddball2
The Red inner.

13 Likes

I should have gone to bed hours ago, but now I can’t stop making wacky toroids. Such a brilliant idea! Thanks.

8 Likes

I’d had enough of reaching down those few extra inches to get my mango, so I up-scaled my fruit-bowl.

5 Likes