Orbit heavy lag with Mac OS X 10.11.4

Sounds funny, but if you try to:
QuickTime Player, choose File > New Screen Recording.
and using orbit tool - everything works fine. But only when Quicktime recording.

Box problems, I imagine.

1 Like

Scooter: I use logitech MX anywhere 2. You have probably installed Logitech Options. This is software from logitech which allow you to configure buttons of your MX mouse. I can’t tell how to turn it off because I haven’t installed it but I remember there was icon in System Preferences. I have only SmoothMouse installed from this site http://smoothmouse.com/. You can always uninstall it to check if it will fix the orbiting. Before doing anything check if orbitnig using touchpad works smooth. Then check how it works using mouse (BT or USB) - if there is a lag you know where is a problem. My fix precedure was like this: I uninstalled SmoothMouse, restarted Mac and Sketchup was back to life. Then I installed SmootMouse and sketchup is still working correctly.

1 Like

This make me think that I maybe could have problem with wacom driver… I will check for update and give you feedback…

:frowning: No update available from Genuary 'till now…

I recently upgraded to 10.11 and was experiencing the same sort of orbiting stutter described above. I tried turning off Hardware Acceleration and experienced even stranger behavior. The graphics appeared in a slightly lower resolution and the orbit tool pivoted around an origin other than the actual origin - this happened on a blank untitled workspace.

additionally, orbiting with a 3D Connexion Space Navigating is smooth.

I have the same orbit problem on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) running OS X 10.11.4.

I thought it started after installing the latest update for SketchUp but reading your comments I realize it may also have started after updating OS X to 10.11.4.

The orbit tool lags on very small models (even in wireframe) but I have noticed that it’s worst on model which have scenes applied to them. If I delete then scenes then orbit performance is improved significantly. It’s still not as good as it was before but definitely better.

If I open an old model that doesn’t have scenes it orbits okay (although still with lag) but if I then create a single scene in the exact same model orbit performance deteriorates until I delete the scene again.

• Kristian

Having the same issue here…

Mac OSX 10.11.4 (15E65)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Using 3d Connexion CADMouse
Tried a generic Logitech Mouse, same issue.
I get the same behavior with the trackpad when I select the orbit tool.
Space Navigator works smoothly.

Tried pretty much everything… will sit tight, and test if it is happening in LayOut with panning.

Exported recent model to DAE, looked at the file in Preview… and it orbits, pans very smoothly.
So this is odd behavior.

Loaded same model in 2015 and 2016… lag only happens in 2016 when using the trackpad (will test mouse again when I get to office), so something in the code seems to be conflicting with Apple’s recent update.

I hadn’t noticed the problem previously, so I tried a bunch of my models. Now I also see the lag and jump issues when a model has several scenes. However, the identical model orbits smoothly when opened in SU 2015. This suggests that SU changed something in 2016 (maybe something that was supposed to be an optimization?) and it runs afoul of something else that Apple changed in OS X 10.11.4.

I have noticed other, non-SU, ‘Blue Tooth’ issues…

apparently BT was updated in10.11.4…

I use a wired mouse and perceive no changes in orbiting with it,

3d Connexion Space Mouse uses 2.4GHz wireless technology so it should be unaffected by any BT changes, but is unfortunately absolutely useless on my setup…

john

@bmike: Do you have scenes in your models and if so have you tried deleting them to see if orbit performance improves?

Mine is an old wireless Microsoft Mouse (with a USB dongle), so I don’t think bluetooth affects it. The touchpad on my MBP retina also suffers the lag, though not as severely as the mouse.

when i delete the scenes it works!
as soon as I add a scene in (with my standard, no nonsense, simple lines and no textures) style, I get the jerky motion again.

but, what is interesting is that if i switch to a ‘sketchy’ edges style. i get smooth orbit and pan and zoom.

@bmike Exactly! Once you add a single scene back to the model the orbit tool will start to lag again. And also, sketchy styles surprisingly perform better than ‘fast styles’.

We are seeing this behavior as well, very poor orbiting and other problems with Wacom on OSX 10.11.4 on SU 2016.

So I definitely wish that SU staff will release a proper update to fix these bugs.

I have had a support case open and they informed me that their engineers are looking into the problem with OpenGL and OS X 10.11.4. They will update this page when further information is available.

1 Like