Need Feedback for Rendering

Hello Everyone!!!

I hope my friends are well.

I need feedback on my rendering skills.

This was my final project which I wanted to render. My theme was a Art Deco Style Bedroom. For my reference I used this picture, I didn’t mimic this exactly but my point was to understand the lightning level and try to produce that in my project.

I also need feedback on my camera angles as well. and other critics to improve my work results.

thanks in advance

5d2f196839141628029b8606efca0c5a

2 Likes

Secondly does it look real?

It does not look very realistic. Before I can give tips, are you using Enscape? If not, which renderer are you using? Enscape should produce better results than this even with its default settings.

I am using Enscape. Yes I need tips and guidance on every aspect … thank you

The biggest issue is the overall exposure…or darkness. Here I just increased the brightness in Photoshop. It’s best to get the lighting right in the render and adjust in post-production if needed. Check your lighting settings. Is there an option for ‘interiors’ or ‘auto-exposure’?
*Edit: Check out this article for more interior lighting tips: Rendering Lighting Tips for More Realistic Interior Scenes

Also, the plant doesn’t look very detailed. I believe Enscape comes with a library of models to choose from? Can you find a higher-quality potted plant? For example, here is one that comes with V-Ray via their Cosmos asset library.

Try these two things first and see what difference it makes.

2 Likes

I used enscape up until a few months ago. Its great and you will be able to easily improve these images.

I typically turn OFF auto exposure especially for dark images that i want to be dark like the ones here. You will have more control of your lighting by having it off and setting the exposure value manually and setting light brightness according to the group of lights themselves - as an overall balance.

Also dont use yellow for your light color. You want to use the Kelvin color temp scale.
Here is the RGB values for these temperatures of light colors depending on how orange/warm you want them.
2500k 255 159 70
3000 255 177 110
3500 255 193 141
4000 255 206 166
4500 255 218 187
6000 255 246 237

I also recommend using more color in your objects. A lot of Art deco uses very loud and contrasting colors. your is mostly just white, black and tan. Start there. Keep going!

1 Like

Learn how to use extra properties for enscape materials… especially the keywords at the bottom. Super easy and quickly adds nicer results. I keep this link handy for myself.

1 Like

@eric-s Eric-s
I think I misunderstood the reference Image and my project. My Project is displaying day time, and reference is displaying night time.

I unchecked auto-exposure to better learn, get more control over lighting levels for my projects.

my render images are not very realistic, I have spend time on setting materials, wall, curtains, floor, fabric metals everything but still its not very realistic.

For plant I got it from Enscape library, will use different one.

for over all darkness, my understanding was in 1920-1930 rooms were not as bright with lightning as compare to todays … thats just my idea I might be wrong

I have read all articles about photo realistic lighting for rendering. but I didn’t copied any settings.

@jlo1 JlO1

I never checked auto-exposure b/c I wanted to learn more control over lightning , tried to use all the tips observed on youtube videos and articles. I have not used yellow color I have used orange color

RGB- 255, 153, 50

what do you suggest what objects need more color?

thanks

Have you used a color in the kelvin scale? That was the first thing that stood out as being wrong - your light color. Your lights shadows/cones are also too sharp on the walls. Soften them or I would also add an .ies profile to the lights along with changing it to a proper color. I just saw you made an old thread on the enscape forum on ies lights… so not sure why you arent using them…

1 Like

I am sorry I have no knowledge about coloring scale I have read some where about it but right now I have no understanding. would appreciate if you share some links.

yes you are right have to soften them with more exposure its very sharp.

my older thread was about IES profiles at that time I didn’t knew how to use them.
I have not used IES profiles in this project b/c I have used sphere lights. I didn’t liked results of IES profiles.

I have one question why my renders are not photo realistic I have spend time on material where I am wrong??

I already gave you the name what to google or look for - kelvin color scale.
I already gave you 6 colors in that scale to use… so you didnt even need to search for them.
I already gave you tips on how to improve the lights beyond just the color using ies profiles or to soften your lights.

At some point, you need to take your own initiative in making things better. We can’t and arent going to do your actual project for you.

“I have one question why my renders are not photo realistic I have spend time on material where I am wrong??”

Ive answered this to you in now …multiple comments… as have others and you are still asking the same question showing you arent listening or applying our recommendations.

3 Likes

my apologies I didn’t mean to offend you in any way.

I asked questions b/c I didn’t understood.

I will google Kelvin Color Scale to understand it in detail.

yes you did which I noted, thankyou for your help I really appreciate.

for IES Profiles I didn’t liked the results, I didn’t not downloaded new ones to try again. I noted your suggestion about softening shadows.

obviously I will do actual project, no one will do it for me. you guys are already very much helping me. I took a break from my this project and started a new one.

I noted all the suggestion will do it and get back here in a day or two.

I am really sorry for disappointing you guys, I really put my efforts on that project but I was disappointed by myself and felt depressed :frowning:

I’m not familiar with Enscape, but have used a handful of other renderers. Realistic rendering is fairly complex, so don’t be discouraged at first if you’re not getting the results you want. There are plenty of variables to consider with settings, and they change based on each specific scene, so there’s a lot to learn.

To sort out your basic realistic lighting skills, I recommend starting with a very simple scene, and maybe a few variations on that simple scene, so you can begin to understand what different light settings do, material settings, and how to achieve basic realism.

Hopefully your new project is coming along and you are learning from that.

Hello,

I have made few changes to my project. on my left wall I have used IES lights.

@darrellh I agree with you I should have chosen a simple scene for my learning but thats was my final project for my course so I thought I will try to render it for my learning.

I need feedback on my camera angles as well.

Here are three things I noticed, maybe from most to least important:

1. You seem to be lacking contact shadows in many areas. For example, where the chairs and table near the window sit on the floor, there should be at least some shadow where it contacts the floor. That may be connected to a “flatness” I see in general, and it’s hard to say what’s causing it without know your complete scene setup.

2. Some of your wall lights are projecting hard shadows onto the walls. In almost all cases, those shadows should have some softness.

3. Some of your materials look a but unnatural, like the wood on the foot of the bed.

As for camera angles, that largely depends on your specific goals, how much artistic license you have, etc. But overall, it follows general composition rules, like the rule of thirds, balance, focus, etc. Sometimes it’s better to not try to show too much in a single shot, and instead try to display something specific in an impactful way. Think about what elements of your scene you most want to show off, and think about the strengths of those elements. That may help you understand how best to capture them.

1 Like

thank you for your suggestions.

1. Earlier my Sun Brightness was at zero. In below renders I set sun brightness is set at 10%. this might be the reason of no shadow
    2.I have tried to soften my all shadows… hope its better now

I think this is a good start and it should be up to your professor, since this is a school assignment, to provide more direction on the level of detail and realism they expect.

• I don’t think the interior lights are bright enough for the not very bright sun in that room.

• they are better and the light color itself is certainly better. Personally, I might still go with a whiter kelvin color but maybe not.

• the 2nd brighter batch of new images - this bothers me much less. I would still go overall brighter.

• and I do think the sun is too bright if you are trying to match the source photo and to make the room itself stand out more - this is a personal preference. I would prefer a dusk or night shot more similar to your source photo.

• if you stay with this brighter sunlight, I would still make the interior lights slightly stronger… Maybe.

• enscape has an overall setting for lights to adjust all lights as one.
      • don’t be afraid to have the sun streak into the room and directly land across it. I, often specifically do this because the sunlight is generally higher quality than other enscape lights.
  • you need to close the room behind the camera… Because we see the reflection of nothing in the mirrors.

• decorate this so the mirrors have something to see/reflect.
    • if this makes it too dark for you then add a light behind the camera or in the middle of the space… Something like a fill light in real life
  • is the enscape render quality set to high? I agree with others that it doesn’t seem to be outputting shadows and GI as well as it can.

• if you are going to have metallic surfaces like the brass on the bed… Or you are going to show close up shots of objects, you should round the corners even slightly to make it more realistic. There is almost no such thing as a perfect edge (or a perfectly straight line) in real life. Almost everything in your model is perfectly sharp which… Bothers me. It’s particularly important for metals. Everything in reality is rounded slightly. Fredo has a free plugin and a paid plugin for rounding corners. Fredo corner and round corner. I forget which is free. Mind.sight also has a paid bevel plugin for this.

• the zebra seating thing should be rounded and deformed if these are cushions.

• floors look good.

• add a fabric texture to the yellow drapes.

• add a paint texture to the walls.

• check enscapes ability to add “bump map” textures for both of these (and to everything actually - like you have some texture applied to the white chair - everything should have it’s own enscape properties added).
    • test making the wall slightly more reflective somewhere around 40-80%. Not as much as the floor but not nothing either.
  • the different woods should have enscapes bump effect adding to them and should also be somewhat reflective.

• it typically took me about 10 min to go though a model and add enscape properties to all my textures. It’s quick and makes a big impact. If the model only has a color like the walls, add a bump map.

• Save these bump maps and textures for future use as well. Keep a library.

• every enscape light should have TWO lights. The enscape light AND a 2nd light that represents the bulb which should have an emissive lit color. Emissive lights don’t light scenes but they are great to represent a small area such as the bulb. a slight bloom effect adds to this looking more realistic.

• your sconces should have the white part also light up or be transparent slightly to see the light bulb and therefore that sconce fabric itself light up. Look at a real lamp to get the idea. Sometimes I only use an emmisive color on lamp fabric but mostly I use a bulb and make it emissive.
    • your center chandelier has the right idea of what I’m talking about where you see the chandelier itself outputting light although I suspect this was accidental.
  • I don’t like the sharp light edges in the desk light. It should be slightly blurred in it’s transition.

This is certainly better than the original image set but it can still get better as well.

• the sconces on the right side don’t match the lighting of the better left side.
  • your sconces on the back wall don’t have updated lights and it should have enscape materials such as metal applied to the bases and stem.

Cu in round 3…

1 Like

my school is finished and they didn’t taught us rendering, we learned SketchUp and CAD there. I am trying to self-groom myself for a good opportunity.

so SketchUp forum is my school now and you guys are my mentors :slight_smile:

I need your guidance and support to improve my detailing and realism… thank you for all the help

1 Like

I didn’t realize at first, but this is why it doesn’t feel right. There still are no actual shadows at all. Not even from the sconces.

1 Like