My whole model disappeared/the screen is blank...?

I restarted, and opened a new file and the cursor is still off.

Is your graphics driver up-to-date, being on a Mac, that means OS up-to-date?

I notice it is an Intel Iris Graphics, as used on newer Macs. Although that isn’t the Intel Integrated Graphics that cause no end of SketchUp problems due to OpenGL deficiencies, I wonder if there could be a glitch? But if it ever worked right, I don’t understand what would mess it up that would survive a reboot…

If my calculations are correct the camera in the original file was some 406,720.4 miles from the Origin.
Wunderdome_Fixed.skp (584.0 KB)

With the originally provided file click Top, then Front, then orbit. Blue toggles pointing up or down. So does red, depending on your view. You’ll get mirrored drawing axes as if looking over your shoulder in a mirror to see what is going on in front of you, … weird drawing axes!

Could there be a permissions glitch?

I remember other postings about such pointer issues but did not preserve any information from those threads.

just a thought…

at 4% Battery, it is possible your Graphics Card has been switched off to save power…

john

2 Likes

This is what I did with the originally provided file…
Open the file > Front View > Select All > Zoom Selection
The model filled the screen instantly.
To me, there’s nothing wrong with the file, except the camera was positioned farther away than the Moon.

3 Likes

For me, the fastest way to the dome was Camera > Standard Views > Front. Camera > Zoom Extents.

That is exactly how I “retrieved” the model. But on the way I noticed the flipping blue axis causing mirrored system axes depending on the view. Local axes (a group or component that has been scaled -1) can be mirrored but overall drawing or system axes can not or should not be. Weird.

Yeah, that model did have a weird feel to it. One thing the OP can look forward to in future models, is that these little funky, user-caused issues magically disappear as modeling experience grows.

I think I am going to have to delete Sketch Up and redownload it.

Why? There seems to be nothing wrong with your SketchUp, only in the way you try to use it. You should watch the instructional videos and practice with simple things to learn the application.

Anssi

The model itself seemed to be ok with some help. But there’s still the cursor location problem.
Although yes, reinstalling SketchUp may be overreacting. It might be some graphics card/driver tweaking to get the cursor to “position itself” as should.

Still have the cursor issue? Update your OS? Being that the problem is on a Mac, completing removing SU and all plists, etc., and reinstalling may help. Follow the directions here to remove everything Uninstalling or repairing SketchUp | SketchUp Help.

Hi guys, apparently I have the same issue. While deleting a sub component the whole model has gone blank. I have tried viewing the already setup scenes, I’ve tried zoom extents but nothing. Also when I select all I see a blue bounding box with nothing in it, like things are too small to see. I have tried exporting it but with no luck, could you guys help?

Can you upload the SKP file so we can take a look and try to help you?

here is the link to my drive, when I try uploading here it cuts off at about 5%, maybe the file is too large? it’s 95mb aprox

Yes. that’s way over the forum’s limit. Downloading it now.

Solved! I selected it all and made a new component, that started to show some of the model! I went in the component and deleted the sub component which I suspect started the issue, so seems to be working fine now. If you want to look at it anyway for a better understanding of what went wrong it would be appreciated. Thanks Dave!