Minimal Polygon Design

4 Likes

Now run SubD!

26 Likes

Too funny Aaron!

Elon did warn us that the design would be polarizing, but I still don’t think anyone expected anything like this. Will be curious to see if the final design will be modified at all…

A big part of the (highly-competitive) pricing is the fact that the body panels are simply creased SS — which eliminates a tremendous amount of tooling costs (for stamping large panels).

Time will tell if they’ve completely missed the mark, or set a new one.

Looks like the
New Tesla Truck

1 Like

I’ve long said cars these days are too aerodynamic instead of having unique artistic expressions as “aerodynamic” cars did back in the days, but this is taking it a little to far for me. Can it even drive on a planet with an atmosphere?

About 30 years ago, I made this rough model for an electric car design:

5 Likes

I can help you with the windows if you like.

2 Likes

The new Tesla truck reminds me of the old DeLorean DMC-12

1 Like

Confused:

You need something fast to get away from those pesky T-Rex

6 Likes

Is it a car or just a very useless door wedge?

Wedges with four wheels don’t work, two might, at the right spot

I think you must have missed my word “useless”!

1 Like

I tried to give some constructive advice, just saying something is “useless” is so 2019 :innocent:

EDIT:

1 Like

Well now, do you think your wheeled wedge will work? The downward force on the wedge as a result of jamming it under the door would have to be sufficient to overcome the tendency of the wheels to release it. Are you thinking of crowdfunding your idea? If so, let me know so that I can avoid investing!

1 Like

Joking aside, I guess the stealth bomber look is quite in vogue but is it beautiful? Certain well known car manufacturers seem to think not.

Rather more polygons though…

I understand that there is a structural reason for the habit of building cars from curved pieces of sheet metal. Armoured vehicles are built from flat panels rather like the hulls of ships, but the emphasis in their design is more in resistance to exterior shock than to minimize weight.

The front bumper was specifically designed to allow it to work as a doorstop:

(you have to apply the parking brake, of course)

7 Likes

Hold on. Parking brakes normally work on the back wheels only, don’t they?

BTW, I admire the use of black bricks to form the tyres.

Yes. For example, this is much stronger than the same sheet of metal before it was formed into a roofing panel:

1 Like