Minimal Polygon Design

Usually, but this is an all-wheel electric buggy.

Gotcha.

I presume as this was designed 30 years ago, there would have been no room for anyone inside it as you’d have needed all that space for batteries. Or maybe not if it was made of balsawood…

Actually, it was designed as a single seater with enough room in the back for a couple of bags of groceries. Everywhere else was pretty much to be filled with ten 12-volt heavy-duty lead-acid car batteries driving two 120VDC motors (so it wasn’t actually AWD). The top of the car was to be a solar panel so I could drive it to work and let it recharge in the parking lot.

At the time, I was toying with the idea of a 1"x1" tubular steel frame that could be easily covered with flat stock. Whether it be plywood or fiberglas or lexan, this would eliminate any special tooling for the body. The top was intended to open up for entry-exit and had a well to hold up to two bags of ice for the “air-conditioner”. I didn’t have SketchUp at the time, but somewhere, buried in a box in my storage shed, there’s a detailed design with a parts list … maybe I should dig it out and update it for the 21st century :wink:

Is the glass bullet proof?

2 Likes

I had intended to use polycarbonate (Lexan) for the windows, but only a nominal thickness. Probably could easily stop a .22 caliber short … however, when I designed this, being bulletproof wasn’t really a necessary design parameter like it is today.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve been working on a Cybertruck model too!

9 Likes

Nice, I am thinking of building something on the back too!

3 Likes

It is strong but it scratches very easily, for instance when the windscreen wiper is not absolutely clean.

1 Like

Someone else compared the CyberTruck to the SuperTank design in Battlezone:

Inasmuch as this was one of my favorite games in 1980, it may have had an effect on my car design.

5 Likes

ummm… if we put vehicle design aesthetics aside for a moment, and ignore the “future is here now” kinda thinking…won’t the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations have something to say about the apparent lack of crumple zones on this vehicle??? Sure it may be built like a brick sh!thouse…but imagine getting hit by that thing in a crash…it would most likely be carnage (to the other vehicle). If nothing else Mr. Musk, at least give us curved wheel arches and flares…please!

Look up the Urbacar. Same Shape.

1 Like

Also, note the lack of side mirrors… still a requirement on US roads!

1 Like

I knew that I had seen that design somewhere before :wink:

For now, it’s under consideration to be changed I read. Once we humans stop touching the wheel they will be unnecessary I guess.

1 Like

hmmmm…?? I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a camera system of sorts providing all kinds of views outside of the vehicle for the driver etc…it would have to right…I mean this is a “future” car…surely there must be some cool driver tech. (we hope)

1 Like

I’ve driven in the US and can assure you those mirror things are never used.

3 Likes

We don’t use turn signals, either :wink:

2 Likes

I was going to say that but couldn’t remember what you called them , I didn’t think you’d understand what I meant when I said you didnt use your blinkers either.

1 Like

You are both right, we are too busy talking on our cell phones :wink:

2 Likes

You should visit Lund. I don’t even have a driver’s license; I just ride my bike (whenever I’m not using public transport).

2 Likes