Microsoft Surface Pro - Use caution when upgrading your Surface

Howdy folks! Guz here with SketchUp Support.

We’ve received a few calls lately about issues with SketchUp working with their new Surface Pro.
Sounds like some lucky users are getting upgrades, and that’s awesome, but not all of these replacement computers will give you the power you need for SketchUp Pro 2017 or newer. The most important ingredient? A dedicated GPU (graphics processor unit).

Users have been experiencing lag / slowness, black screens, and general performance issues. There are passible work arounds, but the real solution is to be sure you (or your IT team) issues you a system with a built-in GPU. The integrated Intel display adaptor won’t do the job for you.

You can find our system requirements on this page: SketchUp Hardware and Software Requirements | SketchUp Help

If it’s too late, and you’ve already got a Surface Pro with only an integrated display adaptor, try going to Preferences > OpenGL > and uncheck the box for Fast Feedback. That should at least fix any issues with a black workspace.

That’s all for now. Happy Sketching!

UPDATE
Initial research tells me that IF you have a Surface Pro with an i7 processor AND it is docked into its keyboard, then you shouldn’t have a problem running SketchUp Pro. This configuration includes a GeForce 1060 6GB discrete GPU and that’s more than enough power to do the job (in most cases).

IF you have the i7 and you are running in Tablet mode OR you are using a Surface Book Pro with a lesser processor (Intel i5 for example), it will not have a discrete GPU with its own dedicated vRAM and you will not be able to properly run SketchUp Pro 2017+.

4 Likes

Hello,
i have an Surface Pro (5th) 2017 i7-7660U, 8Go memory, Intel Graphics Iris 640.

Installed : Sketchup pro 2018 version 18.016975 64bits

I have installed Intel Graphics pack version 6136 (05/2018)

The Graphics recognized by Sketchup, the execution and work is ok .

But sometimes, Sketchup loss the Graphics identification, and the Sketchup don’t work correctly, the application block or work very slowly, and impossible to execute any operation.

When it’s arrived, i need to desinstall the intel graphics drivers, and reinstall, and the sketchup rework normally

This times, i desactive the Fast Feedback, you think it’s resolve my problem or i need to do something other ?

Or i always got problem with this Surface Pro (5th) and need to up to an Surface Pro with Nvidia Graphics ?

1 Like

Hey Malcom! As a workaround, unchecking the Fast Feedback and in some cases, reducing the Multisample Anti-Aliasing to 0x will help. Also, make sure that you are using the latest version of the intel video driver. Let us know if that works out for you in the long run.

1 Like

Hi The Guz,
At this moment no problem.
But we felling the system is not optimized, we 'll upgrade system on Nvidia GPU integrated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.