Surface Pro 3 to run Sketchup

Hi all, just an update, I’m currently using the Surface Pro 3 right now.

It works well as some have already mentioned. :blush:

2 Likes

Several years ago, the Intel plant in my area placed an ad for driver developers to create Pro-level OpenGL drivers for their products. The good reports we been having since the Surface Pro came out may be the fruit of that effort.

May I ask what processor option you chose? I’m considering getting a Surface Pro 3 with the i7, but I would like to save some money if the i5 will be good enough.

Hi Stefanozilio, may I ask which processor option you chose? i5? i7? I’m wondering how inexpensive I can get. =)

I have intel i7 with 256gb

1 Like

I’m using the i5/128 and it is serving me well while studying in university.

1 Like

I think the Intel story has been improving not just recently, but for longer. They run SketchUp with hardware accelleration (and for SketchUp’s OpenGL needs I never experienced problems driver quality), and especially the i5 (or i7) even run games in high-dpi (5.7 megapixel!) quite performant.

What about the screen size? Does it ever feel too cramped? Do you find it actually replaces your laptop, or do you just use it on the go? Do you find you need to plug it into an extra monitor to keep from going blind, or is the screen resolution so good that the smaller screen size isn’t a big deal?
Thanks for all of your advice!

the currently fastest available intel HD 5000 does provide an average 3D graphics mark of 603 Passmark points… which might do in connection w/ an i7 with not too big models but which is far away a dedicated video card of a desktop/notebook does achieve.

I would say that the SP3 should complement your existing equipment, not completely replace it. As I already have a desktop PC at home, and I know I won’t be doing any graphic bashing amount of work on the go, so the SP3 was a no brainer to replace my 6 year old heavy bulky laptop.

I don’t know about others but I use software without the icon scaling so I get a larger workspace. Probably bad for your eyesight in the long run, so good thing I’m graduating soon. I’m only using the device in my school studio for 4-6 hours at a time, so yeah, screen size doesn’t really bother me as I know I have something bigger to work on once I get home.

2 Likes

Trying to understand some Surface Pro 3 issues and would love to read this post - but alas and alack… I am not a member and cannot get past Go.

Thanks.

Links to our former home at Google Product Forums do not work.
The old forum was shut down August 2014.
All that remains is this rather confusing message, which creates false hope.
There’s no way to gain the “necessary permissions” :disappointed_relieved:

SketchUp
You cannot view topics in this forum.
You do not have the necessary permissions to view topics in this group.

Thanks, George. I feel like a rat in a maze … My Sketchup Pro does not have full functionality on the Surface Pro 3 in that the key commands don’t work. Microsoft says “it’s not our problem” …

Make sure your language settings are set to English (United states)
Control Panel > Language

Keyboard Shortcuts are case sensitive. That is … G ≠ g
Any chance the Caps Lock key is on?

Fancy that …

Cross Post:

1 Like

The caps lock is not on, but I checked my desktop version of SketchUp and find that these commands are not case sensitive. Arrrgghhh

I (desktop PC) find the same, they are not case sensitive.
Hmmm… Perhaps that’s the way things work on a Mac?

Time to tug at @jbacus sleeve for clarification…

Update:
Reading the manual, neither Mac nor Windows documentation mention KB shortcut case sensitivity.

Assigning keyboard shortcuts (Microsoft Windows) — SketchUp Help
Assigning keyboard shortcuts (Mac OS X) — SketchUp Help

1 Like

they are case sensitive, but ‘G’ is shown as ⇧G and ‘g’ is up-cased as G in Preferences, I find it a bit misleading, but that’s the case on a mac at least…

1 Like

Preferably work on PC

Since this is among the top Google search results, I thought I should share this link on the Surface and SketchUp. Microsoft Surface Pro - Use caution when upgrading your Surface