Medeek Foundation

I’ve actually had quite a few people already ask me about form work.

I haven’t given it too much thought since I’ve always considered it secondary to the actual product but maybe there is something to this.

In the years that I’ve worked in construction I’ve seen various form types and methods. I guess my biggest question is what would someone like to see with regards to the actual model with forms. How much detail is required. Should the forms be broken into the standard size (units, ie. 4’ forms)?

If I were to go down this road I would like to make sure that I am producing something that people could actually use and find useful.

Foundation plans don’t (normally) include form details, so why model them? The specifics of forming are handled by the foundation sub-contractor and dependent on the system they use. Any info or dimensions needed for forming layout can be taken directly from the foundation plan.

From my perspective, I don’t see this as a valuable use of your programming time - especially in relation to your long list of current dev priorities.

1 Like

Yes, I do have a lot of other hot items on the plate right now. Thank-you for providing this valuable feedback. Again, I’ve always considered the form work as a secondary item (a means to an end) and have never really given it serious consideration, until now.

I have to (mostly) bow to the professionals. My use of all Medeek products center around modeling a building I’m creating for personal use.

The one detail of my case that caused me to think of formwork is that I want to convey to a foundation contractor the exact foundation penetrations I’m going to need. A form work plan - with the actual Drain Pipe I’m going to need precisely located - was my thought of the best way to convey this information, rather than just showing a hole in the foundation!

Beyond that, there is still a chance I’ll end up doing the foundation myself (hopefully not, but contractors are proving very difficult to find - they’re all too busy with work rebuilding from last season’s California wildfires!). And since I’ve NOT done any formwork personally, a plan would most certainly help!

I just copy/paste “custom_” to the front of any object I’m manipulating. It’s not a big deal, especially if you have to model the plumbing anyways.

2 Likes

Or you can append the keyword at the end “_custom” or “_subtract”.

1 Like

Ahhh. I’m thankful for this forum.
It’s really neat that I’m able to interact with you all from hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Thanks Nathan! And Mr. Patterson!

Version 1.7.1 - 05.20.2021

• Fixed a bug with subbase and slab insulation options for slab-on-grade foundations.

Version 1.7.2 - 06.03.2021

• Added four additional parameters to the “User Interface” section of the General tab of the global settings. This allows the customization (colors) of the HTML menus and buttons.

Again, much appreciated. Thanks. :grinning:

1 Like

Now applying the same update to the Truss plugin. Again this is not a very exciting update but because it involves all of the HTML menus for each plugin it is time consuming and generally takes me about 4-6 hours to complete per each plugin.

Version 1.7.3 - 06.12.2021

• Added a “Regen” context menu item for the following foundation assemblies: Polyline Stemwall, Strip Footing, Interior Bearing.

Version 1.7.4 - 07.10.2021

• Enabled subscription and permanent licensing.
  • The License tab of the Global Settings now displays the license type.

Version 1.7.5 - 08.04.2021

• Fixed a bug with the stemwall blockout tool.

I am new to this forum, aswell to Sketchup in general. I have interested in what Sketchup has to offer especially with Medeek Plugins. I am from Canada and i have noticed that ICF is not a option for foundations. This is a very common practice of construction within Canada. Would this be something you would consider adding to foundations in the future? As well as a Radon barrier installed below slab?

1 Like

I have given ICF some thought but to be honest I’m not sure how to model an ICF foundation in SketchUp or how to best represent it.

Hi Nathaniel,

I am an Electrical Estimator, we use a lot of Trimble products but Sketchup is one we rarely use with the exception for electrical room renderings to make sure equipment fits within a room parameters and clearances. So my abilities was extremely limited within Sketchup for modeling. Hoping to improve!

Nudura is a common product here, the ability to reverse the 90 degree corners by rotating this is a huge advantage for installation as well as modeling. Please see attached link https://www.nudura.com/resources/installation-manuals/ . I hope this helps.

I think the hardest part will be in rebar integration which in my mind is not that important as there are so many variables. Another issue is they have many models with width as well as exterior insulation thickness.

I hopes this helps, I am in the middle of the designing a house for myself and I was looking for a program that I can configure with limited skill. Sketchup and Medeek seems to fit the bill. One of the things that I notice right away is there is not ICF. Which in Canada is used quite extensively, I would imagine not so much in the United States as it is not on your programming already.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, just keep in mind my skill are extremely limited.

Tyler Dicker, P.E.C.

Project Manager / Estimator

1 Like

Basically ICF is a sandwich of foam-concrete-foam. I can represent this fairly easily but how much detail beyond this is required or essential?

Tutorial 10 - Subtractive Geometry (15:45 min.)

Hello,

I played around with it a little bit, this is what I came up with, I did mess up the interlocking as I did not adjust for the second row. The face should be flush. The key to layout out these block is you always start in each corner and work your way to wards the centre of the wall. There will be a point where the blocks do not meet correctly, that is where you would cut a block to the length what is left in the opening. Once concrete is poured the remaining notches are cut off if applicable a treated top plate is installed attached with preinstall bolt or by drilling after.

Changes to the wall assembly:

Exterior thickness is variable

Concrete thickness is variable

Rebar placement, not shown probably doesn’t need to be shown as it would vary greatly per application

Constient in assembly:

Interior insulation thickness remains that same.

Height of blocks, length of blocks

This by anymean is not limiting me in designing I just though it would be a great addition as an alternate assembly within foundations.

Tyler Dicker, P.E.C.

Project Manager / Estimator

1 Like