LO 2018 Line drop out in vector or hybrid

I have never used the outliner. I guess I am missing a useful piece of the software.

That is odd, on my phone now, i also recall that there were only three section planes…

Hi William, we are are aware of some cases as you have described where lines will seem to drop out… I will try to explain the issue the best I can. It actually is a SketchUp rendering issue that is most easily seen in LayOut but can be reproduced in SketchUp by exporting the same scene to pdf. This is a result of rendering the line work incorrectly.

This seems to occur most often with Sections when a SketchUp viewport is not fully shown in LayOut and stretching the viewport so that the entire section is shown usually fixes issue. However in your case it not help.

Investigating further I noticed that if I shrunk the Viewport I could get some of the missing lines to show up if I intersected the model with the viewport. This is forcing a re-render of the SketchUp line work producing the missing lines.

Did you model this in SketchUp or was it imported from another software?

Trent

1 Like

I created the model in sketchup. It is an existing house, and I am designing an addition. I only had a old set of prints to work from. So I built the model of the existing house quickly, and sort of like platform framing. Walls from floor to ceiling and slab for the floors. All set to the framing line of the house and the face of the foundation. My intent was to then create a skin to cover the whole. This was going to be the thickness of the sheathing and siding with a pattern to represent the clapboards. But today I was just trying to get out a quick model to show the client. Plans and some views. But I tripped on this rendering issue. I love my computer and I really like this software, but it did shred a big chunk of my day today.

Sure I totally understand… and the reason I was asking was to see if we would be seeing this with other imported files or if it specifically happening with SketchUp built models.

I think the quickest solution in this case would be to rt click and Create Group from Slice as Dave had suggested.

Sorry for the trouble this has caused you today.

Trent

1 Like

I am happy if I brought to your attention a rendering issue you might be able to address in the future. For the present I have several workaround options. One of my first bosses back when I was just a wee bern told me “if you can’t think of 7 ways to detail this, then you are not doing it right.” He was talking about detailing cabinetry, but the same applies here. It helps to know what is causing the issue.

Thank you and DaveR

2 Likes

The problem with this is that once it is done it is no longer a “live” document. If I move a wall or add a window it is not reflected in the slice or in LO. Part of the beauty of LO is that it has a live link to the SU model. Not perfectly live as in ACAD paper space and model space, but reasonably good, easy to update.

I still regret that SU does not have a true X-Ref system. I know I can insert one SU model into another, but there is not really an active link. If I change the embedded SU model, I must “reload” it into the second model. It is useful, but I end up changing the base model, then changing the model it is inserted into and then updating the SU reference model in LO. I feel like I am using my left hand to scratch my right ear.

I have a similar problem in that the Vector References in LO no longer show styles with line extensions. I used to use this all the time in SU2017. See image below from 2017 in vector mode. Now it just trims all like standard hidden line style.

Absolutely. I was trying to help a student by debugging what she had done with groups and realized SU for Schools (like SU Free) was missing the outliner. You really notice the value of something when you lose it.

I see extensions in your image. do you have a comparison?

I see that as well… this is a unrelated to the above rendering issue but a bug non the less.

That is a bummer.

Trent

Good Evening @trent

I’ve read about this in the past, but up until now, I’ve never experience the problem.

A little background;

The model and Layout I have attached using Dropbox, were created in 2017 Pro. In this particular model, ages ago, in 2017, it developed an issue where it would fix itself when saving. It seemed to be when I added the site location ages ago in 2017, and then used Skalp, although those two things are probably unrelated. I do remember doing an intersect faces with the site plan to delete some of the unwanted stuff. It seemed to be since then that it wanted to fix itself.

Anyway, I lived with it. Got the planning permission, and started to develop the Building Regs drawings in Sketchup 2017 Pro and Layout 2017 Pro. All good and no problems with lines dropping out.

I’ve been using Sketchup 2018 Pro now for a while and it seems better than 2017, so I had the bright idea to open the Sketchup file in 2018 and Save. Did the same with Layout.

I’m now experiencing this phenomenon, of lines dropping out in Layout, Hybrid and Vector mode. The only mode with works is Raster.

I have also noticed that I can bring some lines back by increasing the viewport size.

I’ve been back into the model and managed to fix some of the geometry, hoping that this might solve the problem.

However, I’m stuck, and it is now really bugging me.

I have just completed today another set of drawings, all done in 2018 with no problems, using Skalp as well. I use Skalp all the time.

I would really appreciate some help and advise, please.

I’ve also attached a screenshot image.

The Sketchup and Layout file should be following via a Dropbox Link…

Kind regards

Mike

OK, a quick update…

I decided to open the Sketchup File in Sketchup Pro 2018, and Save As a 2017 version.

I then opened the Layout File in Layout 2018 and Saved As a 2017 version.

I then opened Layout 2017 and opened the Layout file. Document Preferences to then relink to the Sketchup File 2017 version.

All lines back in place and perfect.

It’s confused me and I’d love to know why the issue appears.

Mike

Hi Michael, yes, we have a issue (bug) in our SketchUp rendering (with sections) that will manifest itself in LayOut when using Vector or Hybrid rendering, exhibiting the loss of lines as you have described. You were also correct in trying to adjust the viewport to get the lines back as this is our only work-a-round at this time.

I was able to get the lines to come back with your file by adjusting the viewport. - The one line that remains missing is a result of a hidden line in the SketchUp model.

Once I have the viewport extended to the size that shows all lines, I will then draw a rectangle and use that as a clipping mask to clip the viewport down.

Trent

Hi @trent

Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I must admit, I tried everything with the viewport to the left of the three where there are more missing lines and I had no luck.

Also, after much more experimentation, I came to the conclusion that there was a fault with my model. I say this because I’ve used 2018 quite a lot to produce other work and had no problems. Unless it also relates to model size and the number of sections.

In a way, it’s kind of nice to know it’s a bug and not me being a donut :wink:

Is there work underway to rectify it?

On the side, great job with the new release. It’s a lot quicker and apart from this glitch, it’s been running perfectly. The scale drawing addition to Layout is a stroke of genius!

Kind regards

Mike

will this clipping mask update correctly when updating the reference? It sounds pretty weird, I thought viewports were actually clipped ‘special’ rectangles already (as in shapes>Fill> with SketchUp model)

Hi Mike, the issue seems to do more with how and where the section is being clipped and not as much with size of file or number of sections. Yes, know that we are looking into how to fix this.

Thanks for the great comments I will pass them onto the team.

Trent

@MikeWayzovski I do not know of any issues with updating with clipped viewports… and yes they are sort of clipped ‘special’ rectangles that contain the SketchUp model. The difference is that adjusting the viewport causes a re-render of the view, and the clipping mask does not. So, if you have adjusted your viewport large for example, and all the line work displays correctly, adding a clip mask will not force a re-render. Just sort of hides the information behind.

Let me know if you need more clarity.

Trent