Layout Impossibly Slow

Hi,
First-time listener, first-time caller.

I’m trying Layout (for the first time) and I’m finding it so slow as to be unusable.
I loaded a very small test model from Sketchup. Basically a bunch of random squares. 2D.
Despite this, Layout’s UI has an aneurysm any time I touch the viewport.
Ka-CHUNK… Ka-CHUNK… It’s a regular glitch- and stutter-fest.

I read a few other threads on the matter (I’m not the only one who finds it unusable, it seems) and tried changing the render mode to Raster but it didn’t help.

It feels as though Layout is using a single, underclocked CPU thread for everything, including drawing the screen, and running from a swap file.

For the record, on this same laptop (ThinkPad P50 with Quadro M1000M, 1GB), Blender, Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator, Inkscape, FreeCAD, LibreCAD, Fusion360 and Sketchup 2017 all run and respond nominally even with huge drawings/models. They may get a bit sluggish when pushed but they don’t ever spaz out like this.

I don’t know sh!t from sh!t but to me this smacks of an ancient and severely-neglected code base in dire need of a rewrite.

Edit: I made sure that Layout is using the Quadro, and not Intel Graphics.

What are you doing to the viewport exactly?

Can you share the LayOut file so we can see what you’re working with?

All I’ve attempted to do so far is to extend the viewport to fill more of the page (with the blue perimeter handles) and them double click to open it and adjust the position and zoom of the model.

As it turns out I got a bit ahead of myself. Layout handles the test file of random squares without too much trouble. Resizing the viewport is still a low-frame-rate affair but at least it responds.

The file Layout choked on has 7560028 edges and 777 faces. It’s basically a bunch of DXF floor plans and elevations brought in for reference with geometry drawn over top to represent the kitchen countertops. I can’t share it, sorry.

Don’t do that. Set up a scene in SketchUp that shows the model the way you want it. In LayOut, choose that scene, set the scale in the SketchUp Model panel and drag the edges of the viewport as needed to show the model.

Over seven and half million edges is a small file?

Without being able to see your file, I guess there’s nothing more to tell you except that you might take some time to learn how to use LayOut correctly before you judge it. You could start here:

I’d venture to guess the Dxf import is a mess.

1 Like

Switch the model to Vector. Also, look into Cleanup3 extension to clean you model.