Layout 2019 on Mac Zooming

Hi

I’ve just downloaded and tried Sketchup 2019, specifically Layout 2019, to see if it fixes the zooming issue that I suffer with on a powerful new iMac with OS Mojave.

Disappointingly, it makes no difference. Still unbearably slow, laggy, jumpy zooming. Makes no difference where the Scroll wheel preference is set.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear if any other Mac users, using Sketchup under OS Mojave, experiece this.

At the moment it is 2018 for me, with Layout on my 2015 MacBook Pro, under High Sierra.

Mike

Hi Michael-

I’m going to link to my reply in the other thread…

Also, it would be useful if you can share your files with the LayOut team - it’s useful to have real-world files for testing purposes.

-m

In Document Setup/Paper, you can set different qualities for display and output. Also under the SketchUp Model panel you can set render to raster. Both things will make working on the document less attractive, but the prints and exports you do would still be high quality.

I tried a test, and the range isn’t as much as I hoped. But in my test case zooming became about 4X smoother.

Hi Mike,

Just to repeat what Marc said, we - the development team - are painfully aware of the poor performance that LayOut exhibits when panning and zooming in certain documents (especially if you have a vector rendered viewport or are editing a group). Please know that this area is a priority for us to address in the near term.

Thanks,
Adam

4 Likes

That sir, is excellent news!

1 Like

I agree with @bifterx that is good news!

Just hope it is sooner rather than later.

Mike

Just want to add that I have a brand new iMac 2019 Retina 5K, 27-inch running Mojave 10.14.5. I use SketchUp Pro 2018 and Layout for floor plans to support our construction company. The files are very simple line drawings with a few grouped entities. Layout is VERY jerkey zooming in and out and basically unusable.

Here’s a new variable fo you to investigate. My older iMac 2013 running Mojave 10.14.5 still handles Layout with no zooming problems (also SketchUp Pro 2018). Graphics card is Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

The problem seems to be unique to the new iMac. The graphics card is Radeon Pro 570X 4GB. The machine has 16GB RAM. Please help! Have to use my old machine for SketchUp projects and I’m super frustrated!

Thanks,
Pam

Hi @pamrichau

That is pretty much a mirror of my setup, apart from my Sketchup Layout 2018/2019 runs better on my 2015 MacBook Pro than my new iMac, which has a far better spec.

Mike

Hi @Marc

Any development on this issue? An update would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Mike

2 Likes

Any update , on this terrible issue?

2 Likes

Hi all, this is definitely related to the iMacs. My office is running a majority of new iMacs with Layout. The latest update 2019.2 has not improved this. Could it be a retina issue?? This wouldn’t be the first time SU performance has been affected by Retina. I am running a MacBook Pro with no issues plugged into an older thunderbolt monitor, smooth zooming. My PC user also has no issue here regarding layout zoom. All our iMacs seem to be in the same boat. Please if you could fix this it would be HUGE.

1 Like

Any solution on the problem yet, I just updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.1 and also experiencing the problem.

Running on a new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

2 Likes

How can we escalate this problem?

This is unacceptable.

1 Like

I’m really hoping it is sorted soon.

Layout is absolutely frustrating to use on my iMac. It really affects my workflow and slows me down so much.

My older MacBook Pro runs fine and is so much smoother. Sketchup Pro on my iMac is smooth and fine too. I have 40GB RAM, 4GB GPU and an External 8GB GPU in a Razer Core X enclosure, which works wonderfully with Twinmotion.

The ONLY letdown is Layout.

I would be more than happy if Sketchup is only tweaked for the next Release, (sorting some of the minor Bugs etc), with ALL of the work being spent sorting out Layout.

I am a little cynical as to whether Layout will get sorted.

The other issue now, which has been going on for some time, is the strange lines which appear. This is a major headache as it means spending a considerable amount of time checking everytime to ensure that there are no odd lines anywhere, before PDF ing and sending to a Client.

An update on these Layout issues would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

1 Like

I agree with everyone. I would also like to see this fixed! These are the specs of my newer work computer:
39%20AM

Since I don’t have the option of using my older computer to just use Layout, I spent some time yesterday searching for ways to make this work for me. Either changing resolution or something else. I did find this temporary solution:

1. Close all instances of Layout on your computer, then go to your Applications folder and navigate to Layout, right click “Get Info”

2. Then, in the “Get Info” menu, click the checkbox next to “Open in Low Resolution”

I say this is a temporary solution because obviously the resolution is lower and Layout is a tiny bit blurry because of that BUT it makes zooming and panning less painful!

Dez

2 Likes

Hi Dez

Yes, it’s absolutely, alarmingly frustrating. I hope it gets sorted. Cynically, I don’t believe it will.

Temporary Solution sounds good though. I’ll try that. When you say slightly blurry, how bad is it?

Mike

Mike,

The edges of what I’m detailing has a slight blur around them. (I tired taking a screenshot but it doesn’t do it justice). It’s really not too terrible, I got used to it after a couple days. I would suggest you give it a try. You can always uncheck the “Open in Low Resolution” box if it really bothers you. I can confirm that when I print my drawing from Layout, it prints out normally (not blurry). So it all has to do with the resolution of the computer screen.

Good luck!

Dez

Hi Dez

Tried it on my MacBook Pro and it did speed it up slightly, so I’ll give it a try on my iMac.

Mike

Hi all, I finally find a solution for one of my Sketchup customer.

I change the my mac OS Preference / Display and change color to RVB. He tell me that it change the zoom reaction.

My current mac doesn’t have this trouble ( because the graphic card is not the same). If it dosen’t work please try other setup.

RGB

2 Likes

Thankyou @denis_bolomier

This has made a massive difference to the zoom on my iMac! No idea why but it has really sped up the rate at which Layout zooms.

I changed mine to Generic RGB.

I’m now thinking that is the reason my MacBook Pro had no problems, because it uses a Profile I created when I calibrated the screen, when I used to do Photography.

Mike