Layout 2019 on Mac Zooming

On my MacBook Pro using the Generic RGB does speed up zooming, but gives everything a darker look. Using the sRGB profile looked better, and still improved the zooming.

@trent Is there some science behind why the color profile affects LayOut’s zooming performance?

Judging from posts seen lately in this forum, colour profile also affects LayOut output, especially exports to PDF, in unpredictable ways.

Just wanted to add to this thread, @colin

I had a thought that maybe if I calibrate my Screen using my Spyder 5 Pro, creating a Profile, that this might help.

Calibration all good and Profile Created.

However, the Zooming in Layout returns to the same dead snail as with the Standard iMac Profile.

Looks like I’ll be using sRGB when using Layout. At least I now have a calibrated Screen, useful for any image and texture matching work anyway. I’ll just have to switch between the two.

Mike

Boy, does that seem nutty. Why is a good question.

I suspect the mac screens are now optimised for ‘metal’ and any app that alter or reset the colour profiles would need to take ‘metal’ into account…

john

Was showing someone the difference in zooming speed with the different profiles, and did a test when set to Vector. Zooming in vector was smoother with any profile than Raster its with the best profile.

That somehow makes sense to me, like macOS its having to work harder on altering the color profile of bitmaps, if only because it’s a lot more pixels to fix. As you can imagine, Hybrid its also slower.

Just wanted to mention it as an option to getting smoother zooming.

1 Like

My initial impression is that this is still a problem in 2020.

I opened a Version 19 file into Layout 2020, and the zooming was, if anything slightly worse.

I will update when I actually use 2020 Layout to create a file and not open a Version 2019 file.

Sketchup does seem smoother, but Layout still seems to be a problem.

Mike

1 Like

Mike, did you see this?

Might be interesting to try it. I know it’s a SketchUp test, not LayOut.

Might try that later.

Theres always been a difference in my Older MacBook Pro and new iMac, (iMac slower, ridiculous really as it is way more powerful than the MacBook Pro, which has an integrated GPU).

Trying to solve another problem now of sorting the Skalp License, as it’s just thrown me out and I can not use Skalp at all.

Mike

I’m sorry I can’t help with the Skalp license thing. Maybe @Guy will see this.

Yeah, no worries.

I’ve sent Guy a message. Something to do with number of Seats. Sure it will get sorted.

Mike

1 Like

Hi @DaveR

Ran that test and got the attached result.

Is this good or bad?

Mike

2 Likes

Looks relatively good - there’s a link in DaveR’s post above to where you can post your results and see others. Mine was only 27fps on a medium powered late 2015 iMac with an i5 3.2GHz processor.

That’s pretty snappy. I think you have the second fastest frames per second.