Layout 2018 can't export PDF error "There was a problem exporting to this file"

@dmyimcuk David can you find out if the build is 17134.228 or .191 or .167 or another version? All of the 1803 versions start with 17134, going back to May, at least, so there might be a more recent 17134 version to update to, even if it isn’t prompting you to do it.
Could you provide a screenshot just like Samyell provided today, and, if it is the [Build 17134.228] version, can you try to export a PDF from SketchUp again and provide a newly dated screenshot for that, too? I need hard evidence to bring to QA so that we can solidly either confirm or oust the “might have fixed itself with the 17134.228 build” theory. Thanks!

1 Like

Current windows update info

Oh and the PDF export does not work.

Hi Katya,

I just tried and it doesn’t work.

Sam

So, I have current project that I’ve just started that requires me to create 70 individual Layout documents. I will need to print each one of these to PDF from Layout with many of them being updated on a daily basis. In order to do this I will have to set the print / export settings for every single bloody one of them every time I open them as I have to print to PDF instead of exporting to PDF. Whenever I re-start my PC, close layout or even re-open on of the 70 documents, I will need to re-set the print settings!

I have been irritated by this for 10 months but this project is going to make this ongoing issue a serious pain in the A&$E. With 70 documents to update and export, having to print to PDF is going to add so much un-necesary time to an already time pressured project; not to mention the time wasted over the last 10 months due to this bug.

What process do I need to go through / who do I need to contact in order to get a discount on my next years maintenance? From my perspective the money i have paid for SU 2018 support has covered absolutely nothing. This has been my only query but so far, Sketchup team, your ‘help’ on this issue has been woefully non-existent and I honestly have no idea what I have paid my maintenance money for. I have received no updates of any note, no help with my issue despite it going on for nearly a year now - what does my Pro support actually cover?

SO frustrated that this issue still hasn’t been resolved.

Don’t know if all the seperate documents will be printed to the same size sheet, but if by chance they are, you should be able to set your .pdf print driver defaults to the sheet size/orientation to save you a few steps.

Charlie

1 Like

@Charlie_v
Amazing - THANK YOU! All the docs for this project are A3 with high quality export so now I can export now as if I was using the export to PDF function and don’t have to individually amend the settings for every document.
Thank you so much for the tip :+1::+1::+1:

We had this issue recently and found that when we deleted the client’s logo from the title block the pdf export worked. We ended up re-saving the image in photoshop to a simple .jpg. You might delete all of the images out of your .layout file, purge, then see if the export to pdf works. Then go back and re-save your images. I hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thank-you for the suggestion mbrightman. Unfortunately, since getting the issue last year and starting this thread, the issue persisted even when I opened a blank layout page, drew a single line on it, and did not link any SketchUp model. From this, I (and the SketchUp Pro support team) was not able to narrow it down to a single object in the layout file.

As with some others in this thread, the issue caused significant difficulties for me and with no progress on the issue, chose to not renew my SketchUp Pro subscription so it has lapsed.

@mbrightman - this issue occurs for me and several others even with a totally blank LO doc. Its a software bug and nothing to do with the way that users are amending files - its something deeper than that.

I have used @Charlie_v’s suggestion (thanks again!!) on one project I’m working on but its not as easy or efficient and the export function. I have disovered that I can’t print PDF to a network drive (using Netgear ReadyCloud) so I have to print all my files locally and then manually move them over to the correct locations - its a total pain in the A%$£. Very annoyed that no one from Trimble has offered any help whatsoever - pro support has been a total no show on this issue.

I’m sure you don’t want to hear this but not everyone is having this problem with exporting to PDF from LayOut 2018.

The above was done on Mac but I’ve been exporting PDFs from my PC just fine, too.

1 Like

Not particularly @DaveR, but Im glad everything is working fine for you - that’s good to know. I’m not quite sure what to do with that information :thinking:, but thanks for sharing.

Hey Sam! One thing to remember, it’s not SketchUp that has changed in many of these cases. Users reported that it worked and then one day it didn’t. What has changed? The finger of troubleshooting is pointing towards Windows. That’s where I am beginning to look now that this case has come to my attention.

I would be curious if creating a new, non-admin user account, logging into Windows with that account, would yield any different results. This could help us at least eliminate “corrupt user profile” as a culprit.

Hello Guz,
I just tried this and got the dreaded “problem notification” again.
Thanks for looking into this.
Dave

2 Likes

Hello Guz again,
The export feature in Sketchup works fine for pdf export.
Is it the same system as in layout?
I was wondering how that could be a windows problem if they are from the same origin code.
But still I’m not at all a software chap. Is there a similarity in the way they work?
Dave

Hi again,
I have sorted this issue on my PC. I finally took the advice I was given & did a clean install of Windows 10. The pdf export now works. So all is good in the world again, apart from the jigsaw to get the PC back how I like it.
Dave

1 Like

@JamesE @Katya

Just adding another data point to this issue. I installed SU/LO 2018 on a new laptop (Win10) that was built and bought in the past month. I’m having the same PDF export issues but I did notice one caveat. I’m able to export properly at Low or Medium Output Resolution quality but when I crank it up to High I get the error. Not sure if anyone else has tried this already but hopefully that provides some clue as to where the problem is originating.

1 Like

And one more data point on top of that. I was actually able to export at High Output Resolution but only if I turned of the JPEG compression for images. Export at Medium Output Resolution still works regardless of whether JPEG compression is on or off. Super weird.

1 Like

What’s the graphics card in this new machine? What is the graphics card in the other one?

It might actually be a better workflow to export without JPEG compression. I haven’t tried it recently, but when I last tried, LayOut created very ugly and prominent artifacts, especially when the images had large areas of flat colour. I got better and smaller results by using the optimization function in Adobe Acrobat instead.