I've lost my model within the file

There it is:

Dylan’s Castle GM.skp (964.8 KB)
Dylan's%20Castle

The camera was messed up, maybe by zooming out excessively?

Camera eye (-2147483648’ , --2147483648’ , --2147483648’ )
Camera target (-2147483648’ , --2147483648’ , --2147483648’ )
Camera up (0, 1, 0)

I used a Ruby script to reset the camera, but you could have fixed this one by using the position camera tool. Practically anywhere on screen it says “Endpoint in Chris” (near the origin). After placing it you should be able to zoom out or do zoom extents.

1 Like

The value -2147483648 is an interesting one in the context of computer software - it is the most-negative value that can be stored in 32-bit two’s-compliment binary format. In order for many of the camera parameters to have obtained this same value suggests a software quirk or perhaps a clamping at the minimum.

3 Likes

Yes and sometimes you get NaN (not a number) values there too.

1 Like

I suspect there may be something else or maybe it is corrupt. I copy/paste to a new file and it behaves ok. There are many reversed faces too, it’s practically inside out. (this is the original btw)

Thank you so very much!!! I tried using the position camera and zoom extents tools, but clearly not well enough. Thank you!!

How do we make sure the faces aren’t reversed? I clearly have lots more to learn!

The file is corrupted. I copied ad pasted it into a new file and the issues went away

First… view the model in monochrome without any colors visible. Visible colors in the design stage of a drawing are of little use.The blue color is the BACK of a face. The front of a face is white. You can opt to change these colors if you wish. The point is a face has a front and a back. In monochrome you can see which side of the faces are which. In a box all the faces that you can see should be white. If you look inside the box…they would all be blue.reverse%20faces

Select all the model (this model is totally inside out) find reverse faces in the context menu. Once you get to this stage and desire to show the previous coloring of elements you can select to view the model in “shaded with textures” but you will find that none of the colors will show as they were. This is because all those colors were applied to the BACKS of all the faces. :slight_smile:

It’s a rather large rogue rectangle causing the problem. Once removed it behaves normally.
Rogue
Just a note. The rogue isn’t actually that big it is displaying that area because it is so far from the origin that things are confused. If I move it to the origin it is only a bit bigger than the castle.

4 Likes

Hopefully you can solve my problem in this file
design simples 1dcm1.skp (1.0 MB)

Try this.
design simples Box.skp (986.5 KB)

Hello. Thank you very much.
It works perfect now.
Any suggestion how to prevent this problem, or solve in case it happens again ?

It looks like you hit the rather strange text bug. It seems that on some occasions when the geometry that a text label is attached to gets deleted, the text flies off to infinity. Nobody has yet been able to reproduce it consitently.
One way that sometimes works is to attempt to select the model, that you can’t see, by using a selection box in the middle of the screen. If you do get it you can copy and paste it into another blank model.

Actually, a reproducible example was posted not too long ago! Hopefully the developers were paying attention and are working on a fix, though as usual they won’t comment until they release a fix.

1 Like

Maybe you can even select everything with Ctrl+A, and deselect everything you see with a selection box, to select the corrupted text only. If this works you might be able to delete it from the model and not have to make a new model.

Another way to get around the text issue is to run this snippet in the Ruby console, save and re-open the model (might require SU restart).

Sketchup.active_model.active_entities.grep(Sketchup::Text).each { |t| t.erase! if t.point.to_a.any?(&:nan?) }
1 Like

Another great option but I’ve found this one tends not to work when it’s the flying text bug. It seems impossible to grab the text responsible, whereas it is often possible to select the model itself and copy paste it.

That makes sense though. Ctrl+A is dependent of location as it it doesn’t select anything hidden by a section cut.

Interesting, I didn’t realise that happens with section cuts.
Something else to look out for when hunting down these rogue elements.

interesting indeed, while cmd+A (or CTRL+A) only selects all entities in front of the section cut, the panels were you can select all leader text (or screen) and all dimensions does not take in account for it…
they select it all.

I always use this option for selecting ‘rogue’ texts and dimensions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.