Insert Component and it ends up WAY FAR AWAY from the origin

When I try to insert a component it into a certain file, it ends up hundreds of thousands of feet away from the origin. It’s so far away I have to use the section planes to find it in the model.

When I try to insert a different component, it works normally.

Another thing that is strange is that sketch up does not wait for me to indicate a location to place the finicky component. It just drops it.

When I tried to insert the component that was problematic into a different file, it inserts right at the origin and again does not allow me to indicate the placement position.

I have checked and rechecked and changed and updated and thoroughly rechecked the origin of the component and the host file and nothing seems off.

I have tried this in a completely clean file and old ones with tons of geometry too.

Any ideas?

Right click an axis and see if reset is available. If so perhaps the drawing axes have been moved far from the base model axes.

A possible but less likely possibility is that the component is a Dynamic Component that has been badly programmed, maybe with a bad assumption about model units.

seems that the current axis is already reset. (world)…

If you are able to share the model and component, someone here will almost surely be able to figure it out.

What is the component you are inserting? Has it been geo-located?

Here is the MODEL and the COMPONENT…
MODEL.skp (230.4 KB)
COMPONENT.skp (983.9 KB)

Not to my knowledge. How would I confirm?

Uh yes, that is highly likely… I made this component myself and I make assumptions alot.

Open the Component file and look at Geo-Location in Model Info.

And the MODEL file is also geo-located.

Looks to me as if the location of the window component is slightly off from the location of the model. Not enough to show in the latitude and longitude but enough to show in the model space.

1 Like

Good catch @DaveR. I removed the geolocation from both files and now the window imports just fine.

1 Like

Is it a Hangover from Google that all components created in a geo-located model end up importing to their original location?

Could there be an option when creating a component to have “Preserve Location” ticked or unticked?
Or perhaps when importing a component Import > SketchUp model (with location)
or Import > SketchUp model (placeable)

1 Like

Worked for me too @DaveR ! Thank you!

1 Like

Anyway in the forum to upvote this or mark as a suggestion for a future build? I geolocate my custom modeling template to put the sun directly overhead to speed up renders and I thought the point of creating a component, right-clicking said component and “Saving As” a component was to strip away the extra layer of information for ease of importation into future models. I am careful about my axis placement in my components and that’s all I want controlling where and how my model imports. I now find that all of the components I’ve made since creating my custom modeling template import far from the main axis based on data I wouldn’t have expected to export with a component. I’m not saving a full model, I’m exporting a piece of the model, not sure why that should include geolocation data as it’s now intended to be used out of context.

You can open the component files you create and remove the geolocation.

Anssi,
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate there’s a solution for avoiding the issue, but I do strongly believe that the geolocation data should not save when you are right-clicking a component and saving as a separate file. If nothing else a check box as mentioned earlier in the thread would be nice. Geolocation should be tied to the model as a whole, not the components. If I build a tree in a geolocated model I want to use for any model, there should be no need to manually strip the geolocation data later. I’m not saving the entire model, I’m saving a component within the model as a separate file. Just want that feedback considered in a future build by the dev team so their users are not caught off guard by this in the future and have to manually adjust their component library.

I’d be curious to see how you are doing this, I have no issue making and saving components in a geolocated model that are not geolocated.

I right-click the component inside the model and select Save As…

So perhaps this really is an issue with a specific version. This has only come up recently for me and these were made with version 21.1.332.

It’s more about how you have your template set up and how you are creating the components.
Something is causing them to be geolocated and that doesn’t normally happen, in my experience, I may be wrong and it’s late for me.
If you attach a model that shows the problem someone will have a look and see if there is a reason.

I just tried. In a model I have that is geo-located, I created some geometry and made it into a component. I then right-clicked on it and saved to a separate file with the “Save As” function. When I open the exported component for editing, it shows the same active geolocation as the original file.

1 Like