Importing AutoCAD files

I noticed there’s quite a difference in file size and wondered about that.

Here is the import process on Mac 11.6 (same as your profile indicates). Not sure why you get an error, I believe you are doing the same. Are you using SU21 still, I’ll check on that next.

I noticed it too and thought you must have saved as 2020 which creates larger files, but I guess not.

Try the newer file.

That file imported fine in 21 as well.
@Box you mean the first of the two .dwg the OP posted? I’ll try that one now.

No, the third one, several posts down, called topo.

1 Like

When I try the J-1604 file on Mac or Windows 11, I get the same results.

BTW, it was faster on Windows.

Are you comparing apple to bananas?
When you said mine was different, was it the topo file or the J file?

Same. I imported all three fine into 2021 on Mac 11.6. Here’s all three imported into the same file. I’m baffled why this is failing for the OP.

Yep, I am following exactly what you have done (which is what I have done many times before) and the best I get is the Import Results and then a fail window

I am now using SketchUp 2022. I will try again in SketchUp 2021 if you think it makes any difference. I have done the same with that version too.

I just happened to have 2021 up and running even though I’ve still been using 2020 on a daily basis for projects still in the pipeline. Total coincidence.

I tried topo just now. Same results on Mac and Windows. Windows was still faster, even though I am running Windows 11 in an ARM 64 emulator on my Mac. Seems unfair somehow.

What is unfair is how easily you all get to import AutoCAD files :confounded:

No, I ran tests in 22 and 21, all fine.

You’re in good hands here, some of the sharpest tools in the SketchUp shed.

Could be a RAM limit? Improper install, if this were windows I might say run as administrator, but perhaps the OP is running SU from the disk image? Some ind of permission issue?

@ziggystardog you same SU install has been working fine otherwise for a period of time?

Some good news, importing on my M1 Max MacBook Pro with native SketchUp 2022, is faster than via my Windows emulator! That’s a relief.

I am definitely an administer on my Mac. No one else but me. I can’t imagine how I could have installed SketchUp differently. So weird

Yes that would be disconcerting if your emulator is faster than native.

There are less things to go wrong with installing SketchUp on Mac. Most common problem is where people run SketchUp from the disk image. If you’ve done any amount of installing apps on Mac, you would have copied to Applications and ejected the disk image. Very unlikely that you didn’t do that.

When you open a blank model to import, are you using Simple or Architectural?