IanT's Experimental Gallery

Wouldn’t painted wood be an option too?

1 Like

By that you mean into that chest? Forget about putting a lock option on it first, before you let that happen.
(sadly it would probably mean the end of “IanT’s Experimental Gallery”)

2 Likes

I started thinking that way, it would probably be a good way to do it. I think you could bandsaw the front and back strip to shape from a single piece. As for the lid ones, because of the width of board required, I think to bandsaw it, then it would be in two pieces. Carefully joined it would be a nice finish.

Alternatively, maybe lots of smaller individual strips cut from thin lathes, but more joining. That’s my bits of thought on that part anyway.

Nope, further into the making of chests shananigans, which is actually holding my interest. But, by the size of Trevor I reckon he’d be more than capable of folding me up and sticking me inside it.

More progress on the loot chest idea…

10 Likes

My Dad doesn’t do computers and certainly not SketchUp, but if he did I reckon it might end up a bit like this… A BIT O TRUEBEND.pdf (295.7 KB)

6 Likes

First play with Fredo’s Animator, baby steps…

12 Likes

I had to figure a wheel before bedtime…

7 Likes

After watching SketchUp live “Toy Story” last night, I thought I’d have a go at modeling Forky myself for a bit of random SubD/Vertex practise. I used pretty much the same process as Aaron, but for the pipe cleaner I used an array of edges made into a component and then used Copy Along Curve extension to produce the rest of the pipe cleaner. It aint very pretty and I think it could have done with looking fuller, but I guess there’s plenty of other ways to produce something like that too.

6 Likes

Some simple woodscrew components I’ve been figuring lately. Create a stack of the center thread component between the tip and head to achieve the desired length screw. Explode the lot and then make a new component which is a single solid. They’re not accurate in thread design as far as woodscrews go, but using just native tools gives a nice representation that’s simple to create new lengths from.

5 Likes

Is a screw made up of peaks or valleys? Yours is the inverse of mine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I never really thought about it, I just cut a rotation of the thread at the full width above the taper on the bottom and carried on from there. Then cut the top taper to suit the rest. Our components won’t be immediately compatible that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I’ve used this technique for hinges, very effective and nice result!

2 Likes

I’ve used this method for screws, bolts, vise screws and hinges like @cotty does. It works quite well. Some years ago I did a blog post on the adjustable screw. I’m normally not concerned about them being solid so I don’t explode them. If I need a different length than I already have, I can quickly adjust the length.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right by that they are much easier to adjust without exploding now you mention it. I’ll change my ways with that, it doesn’t matter if they’re not solid.

Found it here, very nice.

5 Likes

A little bit more SUBD tinkering, creasing edges where required. I’ve found setting up shortcuts for Subdivide on/off and Vertex Tools makes manipulation easier.

8 Likes

SubD then TrueBend…

4 Likes

I found this forgotten little side project, Pong with Animator…

6 Likes

How many misses before the final?

If I remember rightly, it hit first time but just looked unnatural. The ball follows a path (curve) that is on a layer with visibility switched off. It were just a matter of tweaking the path a little with some trial and error to make it look more realistic.