I am having trouble using the push tool to cutout my door on a detached garage

I am using Sketchup Web on a Ubuntu workstation with 16GB memory and an AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core CPU
Garage 1.skp (201.6 KB)

I get a msg that says Maximum Offset -6" when I push it in. It looks like it onlu allows me to push in 6". I can pull it out as far as I like though

The main issue is that you haven’t opened the garage wall group for editing before adding the rectangle for the door opening. The other thing is that your door opening geometry is welded to the step geometry because the step geometry isn’t grouped.
Screenshot - 1_16_2024 , 2_07_16 PM
You also haven’t grouped the geometry for the roof.

Here I’ve removed the geometry for your door, made a component of the step and then, before adding the door rectangle I’m opening the wall group for editing. I did this in the desktop version but the process would be identical in the we bversion.
door

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series and Level UP series. They cover the basics for each tool.

Thanks for the reply. I can’t see what you clicked on in your video. When I right click I thought I would get an option to Ungroup or Delete so I can delete the door but I don’t.

You don’t need to right click to delete the door. Just get the Eraser tool and erase the unneeded edges. Or select them with a left to right selection window and then press the Delete key.

1 Like

Aieeeee

Here’s what I have now. I think I made the slab a component but I still cant get it
Garage 1 (1).skp (200.3 KB)

You made the top face of the slad a component but you didn’t select all of it before making it a component. You also didn’t open the wall group for editing before adding the rectangle for the door so it’s still welded to the remaining geometry for the step.

How do I open the wall for editing? I think I have the entire slab selected as a component now
Garage 1 (2).skp (202.7 KB)

Got it! Now I need to group my roof…

Garage 1 (3).skp (214.8 KB)

Good. Now you have the door opening. Edit the slab component and remove the unneeded face in the door opening.

Hello again,

I had to redraw my door and I’m having trouble. When I push it in it never gives me the On Face message telling me it’s in the proper place. Can someone take a look and let me know what im doing wrong? I double clicked on the door to get it selected by itself (I think)

Garage 1 (4).skp (202.8 KB)

The wall you are trying to push the door opening through is a single face so there is no other face behind it for Push-Pull to show On Face.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 120830

oh! It was before. When I moved my slab in front of the door (You can look at one of my previous uploads to see) I must have deleted the 2nd face. Does that seem correct? If so Ill go back to my previous file I uploaded and work off that

Yeah, you probably just accidentally deleted something.

I don’t know if I’d go back to a previous version. I’d move forward with what you have but I’d organize it first (and then stay organized).

I’d toggle the visibility of everything in the model to off in the Outliner to see what is loose geometry.

Edit → Delete Guides.

Delete ‘extra’ geometry. Even if these should be in one of the groups or components, I’d rather just inspect and repair those.

Make Components of everything else in the model space.

Give the Groups useful names.

Drag the Roof Group in to the Roof Component and Explode it.

Fix Reversed Faces.

Delete what looks to be a part of the Walls.

Create the Floor as a component. Select the top Face, Make Component. Turn off Visibility and Delete the rest.

Turn the Floor Visibility back on and Push-Pull it to get the thickness of the slab. The walls would probably be on the slab in a real build… but hey.

Drag or Cut and Paste in Place the Floor out of the Walls group.

Explode the Component#1 and fix the geometry (Delete stray edge).

Screenshot 2024-02-02 134113

Draw the Walls. Decide how to make them a Solid Component. The walls should be on the slab so I’d adjust the Walls to be shorter/on top and Push-Pull the Floor slab to fit beneath.

Turn the Walls Group into a Component.

Then I’d use Push Pull make an opening for the Door.

Is the Outliner available in SketchUup web? when I try to open it’s telling me to upgrade

yes, and no. :slight_smile:

it’s in sketchup web if you have a subscription to either go, pro or studio.

but it’s not in sketchup free.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.