Trying to cut opening for windows/doors

I’m really confused and frustrated by how to cut out for a window/door from the warehouse. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t but I have no idea why in either case. I’ve extruded walls from a floor plan, and I’m drawing a rectangle, then using push/pull to make the cutout.

Maybe the difficulty is in placing the cutout plane on the surface, as annoying as that endeavor can be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Share the .skp file with us so we can see what you’ve got going on. Download the file to your computer and then upload it here. A common thing that new users seem to do is they create a group or component to contain the wall geometry and then don’t open it for editing when they want to create the openings for the windows.

Click in sequence on the scenes tabs of this SU file for ideas.

I made this model 16 years ago.

Maybe it can be of some help.

Window in thick wall.skp (98.9 KB)

Kitchen 3a.skp (1.2 MB)

You did the common thing I referred to in my previous reply. Here you can see that I’ve moved the wall group back a little which left the box you created instead of the opening.
Screenshot - 6_23_2024 , 7_39_48 PM

Open the wall group for editing before you draw the outline of the opening and then use Push/Pull.

You’ll also need to fix the inside face of the wall. It’s not parallel to the outside. Notice the Y values in the coordinates of the corners. The two for the inside should be identical.

starting to look like I might be better off starting over. Because it’s out of parallel, when I push the rectangle to the inside, it says the offset is limited to 6" but that doesn’t encompass the entire face that I’m trying to capture.

I’m not sure why it’s not parallel, I drew it all along the axis.

Instead of manually drawing the inside and outside edges, draw the outside perimeter and then use the Offset tool to create the inside. Select and delete the face inside the inner edges before extruding the walls to height. With Offset there’s no chance for non-parallel edges.

tried that but for some reason I can’t make the offset tool to work.

Are you sure you’re using the Offset tool? Did you create a group before trying to use Offset? If so, you would need to open the group for editing before you can use Offset.

offset