Push Pull tool problems

I thought I was making progress. Doing everything right. I drew my garage. 26x28 Set offset to 6", Made it a group. Right click, edit group. I put a 16 ft garage door, a walk in door, windows on the east side. When I rotated to the back and tried to put windows there, the push pull tool pushed a block all the way trough. I wouldn’t stop like the others at 6 in. I still had my group and rc edit group.
Can you help me please. Very frustrating!
Randy

Upload the SketchUp file so we can see what you have going on.

New Garage.skp (156.8 KB)

Thank you Dave for taking time to help

Happy to help if I can.

You’re missing the exterior face on the front of the garage and the interior face on the side with the windows. I see gaps in the edges that should make up the walls. There’s some weird stuff going on around the service door and you’ve missing faces on the bottom of the walls. too.

Right now I’m thinking the easiest fix is to start from scratch. A simple rectangle drawn at 25’ 4-1/2" x 28’, Offset inward for the thickness of the walls, delete the inner face, and Push/Pull the walls to height should give you clean walls. Then outline the windows and doors and use Push/Pull to open them up.I’ll make an example for you. One mo.

1 Like

Following the steps, above.

2 Likes

Dave, why do the walls get the inside face deleted ?

1 Like

I believe @DaveR is describing deleting the inner face of the horizontal plane with offset lines (wall thickness) he has drawn, prior to push/pulling the walls up to the plate height. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Lindsey,
I drew my foundation. I drew a square and did the offset to 6” I triple clicked on it and made it a group. I right clicked and did edit group. I drew the front garage door, got the push pull and went in to max 6”. I drew the walkin door the same way. Everything is going well. I went to the side of building to the left of the walk in door. Picked the square and drew the window. It grabs the whole wall and my 6” wall disappears. Why does it change?

Somewhere in your process, you did something to mess up the geometry for the base of the walls. You can see that in the screen shots I posted.

There are missing edges and gaps in the loops that prevent the faces from existing. It’s hard to say exactly what the OP did erase edges or otherwise create the gaps. There shouldn’t be any weird geometry created normally. Certainly not with the work flow I showed.

1 Like

Garage2.skp (203.7 KB)
Dave, here is the file.
Randy

You don’t seem to be missing any faces on the walls now but you’re process is still incorrect because you have a reversed face on the inside of the wall with the windows. You also have excessive and unnecessary nesting of groups.

As for pushing the window openings through, it loooks to me as if you just didn’t stop on the inside face of the wall. After removing the excess geometry, fixing the reversed face and healing the holes on the outside, Push/Pull worked fine to cut the opening using the inside edge as an inference for how far to push through.

This really shouldn’t be as difficult as it seems to be for you, though. Just to humor me, try doing exactly what I outlined before. Don’t bother with making a group of the walls until after you have them upstanding and with the holes in them for doors and windows.

I believe you may have had trouble after you drew the window, because the rectangle lines of the window opening may not have been coplanar with the wall. This is indicated by the tell-tale of trying to select the inside of the window opening rectangle and the entire wall becomes highlighted by the push pull tool.

My workflow to draw coplanar shapes on existing surfaces is to use guidelines. I make sure to start the guideline on a wall edge and stop on a wall edge. I have attached a *.skp file; where I have added coplanar guidelines to your garage for you to then draw a window opening rectangle (I recommend using the rectangle tool) and a coplanar rectangle for you to push/pull a window opening.

Additionally, (as @DaveR noted above) I have deleted the two extra groups in the Wall group. I have also made your floor slab 3D and added a gable roof, so I could share with you how I start to organize a structure and give you a better feel and an example of my modeling style.

I also recommend using @thomthom Inspector2 after you make a group or component and checking that you have a solid entity as you model. By having all faces oriented correctly and any stray lines removed, your modelling will progress more easily and smoothly. Good luck.

190402-suf New Garage 3.skp (238.1 KB)

Lindsey, I looked at your layers and used the eye icon to turn off the layers. Do you use layers for each item on your drawings? I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I am very familiar with layers because of my experience with Photoshop. Is Thom Tohom a guy that looks over drawings? I am learning that when drawing in Sketchup you have to pay attention to the planes of the drawing. Thank you again for the help.

Randy

You are welcome.

My layering is oriented more towards building categories. As an example for “Walls” this layer might include: walls, windows, doors, chimneys and light sconces. “Roofs” might include roofs, gutters, skylights and roof vents.

ThomThom is the author of the SketchUp extension (plugin) Inspector2, available in the extension warehouse. Easy to use, uncomplicated, yet indispensable.

You should be aware that, in SketchUp, layers do not prevent merging and thus ‘stickyness’ of edges and faces, wether the layer is set to visible or not.

Only grouping will seperate the raw geometry.

2 Likes

Thank you Mike

Randy

1 Like

SketchUp layers is a different feature that (unfortunately) has the same name. in SketchUp groups corresponds better to PS layers. SketchUp layers are tags assigned to objects, not locations the objects are separated into.

1 Like

Thank you