How do I cut a hole for a sink?

Hi there. My model is coming along. I can’t upload my file as its become too large, but here is a screen shot of my problem. I assume I’ve got to use the arch tool to create a line and then push it through, but not sure if I can do that! :confounded:

Looks like you have a sink component in place already imbedded in the countertop. This might be a good time to explore the intersect functions.

1 Like

You’re AWESOME endless fix!!! Thank you. This was very helpful.

1 Like

Unfortunately it didn’t work. :frowning:

Could you possibly copy and paste just the counter and sink to a fresh model and upload that? Then we could see exactly what is going wrong and give specific advise.

Guessing here…most intersection failures are due to context issues. The objects you want to intersect need to be in the same context (not completely separate entities). Assuming your sink is a component, try selecting it and cutting (command X) then open the countertop for editing (assuming it is a component) then paste in place Edit>Paste in place. You want to have your sink imbedded in the raw geometry of the countertop. Then select sink, intersect with model, then hide the sink (right click hide) to expose your counter, you should now be able to delete the holes in the counter surface. Unhide your sink and close the counter top component.

I will try both suggestions slbaumgartner and endless fix.

Sink_Problem.skp (619.5 KB)

4 Likes

OMG… That looks SO complicated!!! :star_struck: :hugs: <— it says this emoji is a hug, but I use him for clapping. LOL

I will give it a try. But I’ve got to go workout first. I need some stress relief. And my brain hurts. :wink:

I’ll let you know how it turns out endless fix! R~

If the sink component is built correctly then this is what you can do

Suggestion: This video would have been so much more effective if a voiceover describing each step had been included, particularly because the vid is difficult to read at the reduced size. (It appears that could be accomplished with little additional effort because the video recorded the sound of each mouse click.)

Not intended as criticism, but offered in the spirit of looking out for new users interests. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Or at least a written step-by-step of what it is you did to go along with it. Not that I’m unappreciative of the effort. Thanks so much for taking the time to record this both of you! I will prevail in the end!!! :wink:

This has verbal step by step instructions

1 Like

Dear endlessfix, I did it! I had to watch your video like a 100 times because there is no pause (LOL) But wha-la! here it is. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you…

gkernan, thank you too, but your sink was counter sunk so it was a different sort of fix. But I will save it for future use if I use that type of sink. I’m sure it will help someone who is struggling!

3 Likes

Face Cutter Extension might help.

First you need to properly set your sink component to a cutting component.

2 Likes

As they say, there’s more than one way to skin a cat (kind of a morbid saying though) :wink: Thanks for taking the time to make a video. I’m so amazed at how much knowledge most of you all have.

1 Like

Nice demo! That worked with one cutting plane because of how the counter was drawn ?(One face thick). If the counter was a solid, you would need more cutting components in the sink… nice to see how you set the axes, but then you insert the sink randomly… :slight_smile: no need for an extension, though:

3 Likes

Cutting components need a loop on the z plane. This determines the cutting area.

Actually that would be nice but it doesn’t work that way. The cutting components need to be in the same context as the (raw) face they are cutting. So putting extra cutting components inside the sink would only cut faces in the sink.

Thanks for showing me that. I didn’t think about editing the component without exploding.

No is can be done without an extension. The extension allows the sink to be outside the counter group for easier re positioning. Also if the counter were drawn with some thickness (more than one face) Face cutter would cut all of them.
Face Cutter extension creates cutting components that only contain a ‘hole’ (a loop the edges hidden). It then places the cutting components inside the group and glues them to the actual faces. Face Cutter also keeps track of the cutouts and selects them when the ‘parent’ component (sink) is selected. This way the cutouts can be moved or deleted together as a single unit with the ‘parent’ component.

1 Like

You can use archiving programs to reduce file size. I am using WinRAR which reduces SketchUp files very well (sometimes 70% of file size).