Interacting with a downloaded model

This is probably too basic for this venue but I have been unable to find how to do this.
I am designing my new kitchen. I have managed to draw nice cabinets and cupboards. I then draw a countertop as a simpla square that I extrude with push-pull to the desired thickness and turn that into a group. Next I found a nice sink in the 3D Warehouse. When I place that on my countertop the top of the sink is covered with the countertop and I can not find a way to see into the sink. The square in the picture represents the rim of the sink.
I hope this is clear and you find a time to point me in the right direction.

Components can have hole-cutting capabilities and can cut an opening in a single face. If this sink has that attribute, insert the component into the group. The hole cutting cannot happen through the group wrapper. It’ll only cut a single face so you’ll probably need to delete the bottom face of the counter top to see down into the sink.

If the sink hasn’t got the attribute to for cutting the opening you can either edit the component to give it that capability or just draw the opening in the counter top and use Push/Pull to open it up.

Good ideas. Inserting the sink into the group did no do the trick, even after deleting the bottom surface.
I have no idea how to give the component hole cutting powers :slight_smile: I will go look for info how to do that.
Thank you.
Ă“lafur

Start here: Creating a Basic Component | SketchUp Help

Scroll down to Step 9.

If you could supply a link or the full description of the sink component you downloaded, I will take a look at it to see how it is made.

There are not options for the sink. This is the definition:
CR540 - Quadrato - Fabricated Square Bowl - Kitchen Sink - Abey

I’m just leaving for work but I’ll see what I can do with it when I get there.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Try this sink model and see if it works for you. In order to get the sink to cut the opening, I first gave the rim a little thickness so the sides of the sink would pass through the surface of the counter top. Then I edited the component to make it glue to horizontal surfaces and to cut the opening. I also located the component’s origin (insertion point) at the front center of the lip. To locate the sink accurately on your counter top, you can place a guideline back from the front edge of the counter top at the desired offset and another guideline indicating the center left to right on the counter. Then use File>Import to get the sink from the location you’ve saved it in on your computer. Just drop it onto the intersection.

CR540 Hole cutting.skp (1.7 MB)

This isn’t the cleanest model. I did try to lighten it up a little by removing the strainer in the drain as well as removing some excess geometry. It reduced the file size by a little more than half. It could be improved more but in the interest of getting you moving on your project…

1 Like

I created a hole-cutting version. The hole is rectangular as I didn’t bother with the small roundings in the corners. I zipped the file as it is ridiculously large for such a simple object, probably because the bottom hole has far too much detail. The original model was probably not created in SketchUp and simply exploding and moving the thing so that the edge is on aplane with the origin didn’t make it cut.

Anssi
CR540B.zip (1.5 MB)

Thank you, this worked beautifully
Ă“lafur

1 Like

Nice may be a bit too generous.

The model in question is poorly made and probably not something you want in your model.
Turn on Hidden Geometry … View > Hidden Geometry

The model is a mass of unecessary edges and overly complex micro-geometry.
3.7 MB with over 29,481 edges is simply too much.

Adding just a few poor models like this will slow your model.
You would do well to model the sink yourself.

2 Likes