Hello. Newbie with some model critique questions

Hi there. I was directed to this Gallery by Box over in the Forum where I’ve asked lots of questions and gotten a heap of awesome help learning how to model. Everyone’s been so nice. I still have a LOT to learn, and I’m sure my model will look rudimentary to many of you old pro’s. But that said I’d like to upload my model for critique and suggestions, but the file is really large at 131.3 MB is there anyway to crunch it down?

P.S. A little about me: I wanted to learn SketchUp because we are actually building the house that I am modeling. My husband isn’t very good at imaging things I suggest so I thought it would be easier to show him in 3D. Turns out it’s harder than you think, especially when your furniture and decor has to represented by something that has to pass as representing your stuff. Unless I want to spend a year modeling all my stuff manually. LOL. :wink:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aAahKpbAVebWJIbHl2ZUUyZUk

Try purging your model first to reduce size.

You can try uploading to 3D Warehouse and share the link here. If size is still big, then you can upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and share the file link here.

I did that. Model>Statistics>Purge Unused. Correct?

If I try to upload to 3D Warehouse should I try to compress it first?

Yes, correct.
Limit for 3D Warehouse is 50MB, you can try Google Drive and Dropbox options.

But you can post images here also for us to look at and critique.
Create scenes and export them as 2d and post those images.
This can be a good way for you to show specifics rather than the entire model.

The only way I know to do that is by taking a screen shot which makes a tif file then opening it in a drawing program and converting it to a jpg file.

Position your model as you want, or Create a scene, then go to File/Export/2D Graphic adjust the Options then export.

May be different on a Mac.

I’ll try that next Box. I am trying to upload it to Google Drive. It’s taking its sweet time. :smile:

It’s the same on the Mac.

1 Like

And none of us want to regularly download huge file either.

I’m embarrassed to say, I just realized that I don’t know what to do with the file once it’s been downloaded to Google Drive. :blush:

And it still says it’s 88 MB

I have to sleep, but just try adding some images for now.

Ok. Thanx Box. Goodnight.

You can add the Dropbox link into the message window.

Okay, I think I found the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aAahKpbAVebWJIbHl2ZUUyZUk

Hi @FauxDesigner,

Generally, the Gallery section fo the forum is where people post images of their work (think about a physical gallery, with pictures hanging on the wall - generally, they should look like this). I am going to move this topic into our Meta category (where we talk about the workings of the forum and such). I would strongly urge you to start a new topic in the Gallery beginning with an image of your work, so the rest of us can utter “oohs” and “ahhs” and give you likes!

4 Likes

Hahaha, exactly :slight_smile:

Ok. No worries.

Check. New post tomorrow. But I doubt oohs and ahh that’s why I was hoping for designer input.

Thank you.

1 Like

Download a “Snipping Tool” It’s like a screen capture except you get to control with a box what you want to copy. Mine saves as a JPEG.

Mine saves as a tiff and then I have to import it into Fireworks and convert it. I use it sometimes when I really need it.