Heads up: We’re making your SketchUp account more secure

Hi Bryce, I tried signing out of SketchUp via Help>Sign Out. the web page that opened shows the following instead of the usual message about being signed out.

{“error”: “invalid_request”, “error_description”: “Invalid token error.”}

When I opened SketchUp again, it didn’t require a sign in as I would have expected. Is this related to the update?

I saw that variation of error. For me, clearing the browser cache and reopening the browser seemed to fix it.

1 Like

New discovery…

In a couple of versions of SketchUp I had a case where SketchUp was convinced that it was signed in (it probably was, into the old system), and attempting to sign out would show different errors, including the one you showed. The solution was to use a feature that requires sign in, Extension Warehouse or Trimble Connect for example. That feature knows better, and makes you sign in. Then you are signed in with the new system, and SketchUp is back in sync. Signing out from SketchUp will work after that.

Interesting. After I cleared browser caches I was able to sign out properly and then sign in again.

1 Like

That’s the typical fix for anyone in an odd state. Worst case you have to delete the login_session.dat file from the desktop application. Anyone who needs instructions on doing that should check out - https://help.sketchup.com/en/trimble-identity-frequently-asked-questions

1 Like

Thank you for that. I fixed the issues in other ways, and so can’t test that now!

One thing, could you get the path fixed in the article? It gives:

Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018

for example, when it should be:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018

@jody

1 Like

I had to help someone else with this problem, and took the time to figure out where the file is on Windows.

If other attempts to sign in are still failing, close SketchUp and delete login_session.dat for your SketchUp version. As an example, the login_session.dat file for 2021 on Mac is in this folder:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2021

You can get to that folder by using Go to Folder… on the Go menu in Finder, and paste in the text I gave.

For Windows it’s in:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp

Again, you can get there by pasting the text I gave into the path field in File Explorer.

Reopen SketchUp and sign in should work.

Is there currently an issue with the subscription server?

I’m logged in, and have logged out/in multiple times already but continue to receive the error “The subscription server response is invalid”

I also notice that on sketchup.com I can log in to my account but trying to go to “manage my account” or “my apps” leads me to a Something went wrong error

There was an outage recently. It was unrelated to the recent sign in update and has been resolved.

~B )

I no longer see the “Last Active” column in the Account Management portal. Was this removed? It is a very valuable tool which allows us to maintain how many seats our company really needs. This column informs us when a member last used the licenses and we can drop them off to maintain an appropriate license count vs purchasing more than we need.

Thank you

Hi McAleron

We miss it too! It’s being investigated as a bug. We hope we can get it back as it was very useful for a number of use cases. Stay tuned…

Bryce

2 Likes

Your right there Mike, that has been a nightmare for me for over two years now with Sketchup. I used two different emails! Google, FB (now Metaverse) etc, cry wolf all day long when logging into my accounts, Google Alert, constantly! It is time consuming and stupidity as far as I can tell. Reminds me of the fairy tale of the “Little Boy who Cried Wolf!” I think all of this stems for liability, there take is “Well we warned you not our fault were not secure!” It was YOU! You didn’t change your login credentials that take an hour and half!

Hello Bryce, any update on this bug?

Thank you

Sorry I don’t have an update on the ‘last active’ capability. I don’t think it’s going to be resolved quickly. Things changed with the way our new sign in platform reports sign in events. That means the functionality need to be re-connected for the new system. At this point I’m not sure if that’s even possible without work on the platform to support it. I’d say it’ll be at minimum a month or two. Sorry I don’t have better news.

Thank you for the reply Bryce, but that’s horrible to hear as it really affects license management for us. Hopefully this can be reintegrated eventually.

I have to point out that subscriptions are not supposed to be moved around unless your contract specifically allows it. Standard subscriptions are intended for a single user to use the license for the full length of the subscription period. Our standard terms allow for license reassignment in the following 3 situations:
1 A mistake was made on initial assignment.
2 The employee leaves your company and you need to give the seat to another employee
3 Upon renewal of the seat for another year, you can assign to different employee.

1 Like

We do have that in our contract. Thank you

1 Like

Perfect Thank You for mentioning that here.

Hello,

Sketchup Pro periodically saying i’m not logged in - click on sign out on the menu and the web page shows {“error”: “invalid_request”, “error_description”: “Invalid token error.”}

Refreshing page a singing in again resolves it but this is happening too often