HANGING and freezing

Or set the fill to a darker color

about 30 seconds

20 seconds

You may be setting a new record! Many people seeing the problem are taking 10 or 20 minutes before it happens. (I see that your support case says 10 minutes, but maybe thatā€™s 10 minutes of normal use, and not 30 seconds of trying harder to make it happen)

Expect a message from me.

the model, I now have it on the cloud, lasted a bit longer but not a lot, I use drop box normally for all my stirage

Try not using Dropbox and store the files on your local drive. Every time Layout autosaves, Dropbox will be syncing the file.

1 Like

For anyone following along, I did a screen share with Gordon. His iCloud settings have the desktop and documents local, and the issue he is reporting is the one we have seen. All of the symptoms happen when starting in an empty plain paper template, itā€™s not to do with file size or Dropbox synching.

Good Evening Colin and all others that have been following this thread, the trials and tribulations seem to have been (fingers crossed) resolved, I have now started saving files to I cloud, (thank you Gordon Mc) and have not had a single hang up and this was on a large planning application file with pictures, imported textures and many components added. Thanks to all, Colin, many thanks

Do you mean that you can zoom in and out as much as you want, and draw things quickly, and no longer get into the situation where new drawing doesnā€™t appear? And if you save to your Dropbox folder the problem comes back?

In preferences, backup, what is your auto save set to?

Us oldies are of to bed in UK
Will try it again tomorrow and try and crash it

I didnā€™t recommend you to save your files there. I was trying to find it out if you already were as I thought that was the source of your problems.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure he wonā€™t have turned on the remote iCloud Drive options, but is just saving into the local iCloud Drive folder. If leaving Dropbox did help with the situation, then that would suggest that macOS syncs iCloud Drive in a less disruptive way than Dropbox does.

Morning Colin, so.
I have now tried several times to crash the system, it seems that the scrolling on the mouse may? and I am tentative on this as it does not happen all the time, may be the cause.
when i open Layout new model and start drawing shapes inserting scrapbooks, then using scroll wheel, it hangs, like we were seeing yesterday, but not every time, however when I used the zoom tool from the tool bar, then zoomed in and out using this tool the system worked every time. Lesson there, DONā€™T USE THE SCROLL WHEEL, i think this isnt an issue for most as they use tablets and pens, its only old fogies like myself that use the trusty old mouse.

I suspect most are using a mouse wheel, or an equivalent. Interesting that using the zoom menus makes it manageable, that gives me an idea of something to check.

So, would you say that changing the location for where you are saving files didnā€™t really affect things?

Hello Colin

I believed saving to I cloud helped, as everything was working well last night, it was only this morning that I tried breaking the model that I tried the zoom icon, I will defiantly be using this in future

I did a post based on recent findings, including what I discovered working with GDG1952:

Still have this problem?
I work for years on a Mac without problems.
The only problem you can have is with some extensions who prevent quitting SketchUp.
But al the rest is working, ven beter than on a Windows computer.
I have a Win10 with a i9 processor, still works smoother on my iMac.

Hi Colin

the workaround doesnā€™t work, been working on a template and delaying several times during the process. think its back to the drawing board

What was different from the earlier hopeful signs?

Hi Colin
Ainā€™t got a clue, It just started tried several blank drawings, and after several scrolls it started hanging up, did a zoom in / out with the tool and it would refresh, but to carry on , I had to log out then back in again, if I used zoom tool then eventually it would hang up,