Grouped Object disappearing just when I need them

Thanks Box… I am familiar with that… Best of all, of course is to import all the plans in a single image so they all get scaled at once. sometimes the source images are all different sizes.

Are you trying to trace the drawing from above at a distance? If so this can lead to your edges going in the wrong direction.
Or have you lifted the geometry up from the image after drawing it? If so this could mean you simply missed a couple of edges in your selection.

The geometry did not stick to the image.

Share your .skp file.

I had lowered the image down a bit… Will repeat with it on the 000 ground plane.

Here
New Test.skp (331.3 KB)

When tracing something like that I set the style to xray and change the edge colour to something bright. This way you can still see though to the image when faces form and see the edges clearly.

Yes… I have tried setting the lines to RED which is a big help. Find I have to use XRAY. Have to get quick and confident at setting the drawing line colour and weights.

If the geometry was stuck to the image you wouldn’t be able to move the geometry or the group around without deforming it.
stucknot

1 Like

You should draw straight on top of the image, your odd ‘stuck’ edges are because you were drawing in parallel projection but not ‘on face’. So the edges moved in the z plane when you drew them.

1 Like

Here I’ve made a start. I moved your image up to the red/green plan and as Box advised, I drew directly on top of the image. I temporarily changed the edge color to red so the edges I drew are visible over the image. Again, the edges are not stuck to or interacting with the image. They are just drawn in place on top of it.

Ok thanks… I moved the image back up to the ground plane and repeated and noted the reference to drawing on the plane… Thanks and will try this again. Really appreciate the help.

Frigg… this program has given me grey hair and you make it look easy… All with time… and yes the red lines help

I like red too, but it can mask some errors, it is possible to snap to a point you may have near the red axis and not notice that you have gone slightly off axis. So I use a bright orange so it can’t be confused with an axis.

1 Like

It really shouldn’t be that difficult if you watch for the on-axis and on-face-in-image messages as you draw. I think you would find it easier if you set the camera to Perspective instead of Parallel Projection, too.

And because I couldn’t help screwing around a bit.

Ok have some yellow lines going on so they are visible but wont melt my brain confusing with the axis lines. Getting there…

… sure… torment me! Looks pretty good for 5 min but the lines should be yellow!

thanks Dave… I am done for the day. Have a good one.

1 Like

Make your tracking lines a group by triple clicking on one of the lines, right click, select Make Group.
This will make moving your tracing very simple.
Always Group portions of the model to eliminate the model destruction.

Thanks for your suggestion but I that is the obvious but unworkable solution (for me anyways) when I group a reference image or object it then DISAPPEARS when I open another grouped object to edit. It is exactly the grouping solution which creates the problem. If I dont group the reference object my lines jump all over the place to stick to it…

Have you tried View->Component Edit->Hide Rest of Model turned off? With that setting off, opening a component or group for edit should not cause other objects to vanish.

Also Window->Model Info->Components Editing display slider for Fade Rest of Model if set very light can cause the rest of the model to be faint and hard to see.