File won't save

So you didn’t download the file?

Can you open it in SketchUp Free from your Trimble Connect account?

im trying again now, also i have another sketchup file thats 0.28 gb and this one is 0.08

280 Mb? That’s a pretty big file. What is it you are modeling?

they are both houses with a complete interior

does this link work?

I got a file.

I corrected the incorrect tag usage…
Screenshot - 2_21_2021 , 5_41_34 PM

…and purged unused stuff…

Screenshot - 2_21_2021 , 5_42_17 PM

This reduced the file size from 86.5 Mb to 35.3 Mb, almost a 60% reduction.

You need to get a handle on correct group and component usage along with correct tag usage. Only components and groups get tags. ALL edges and faces remain untagged.

There are also a lot of reversed faces in your model. You should only have white front faces visible.

Is this just a hobby thing? How do you plan to use the model?

Here’s the purged file.

yes, this is just a hobby at the moment. im hoping to study architecture but im only doing my gcses now so i have time to learn. im going to hopefully do a course of some sort because so far ive taught this all to myself.

how can i get this file back into sketchup to finish it?

thanks for your help also.

You should be able to go to Trimble Identity and then click Open at the top of the screen and then choose My Computer.
Screenshot - 2_21_2021 , 5_58_56 PM

You should spend some time at learn.sketchup.com

thank you very much, but is it possible to get my materials and textures back?

I just turned them off in the style. I didn’t delete any of them that were being used. Go to the Styles panel. Pick the Default styles and select Shaded with Textures.

hi again, i started to work on this file once more and wont save again. im still not sure what is happening. since then ive added more ram, but it is still slow, and refusing to save.

Adding RAM to your computer won’t help make your internet connection better nor will it do anything at the server end. Download the file to your computer and share it again.

it wont let me download it, it just crashes again

Did you add a bunch more stuff to make the file large again? I guess you should be able to download the file I fixed up last time.

Maybe it’s time to get serious with SketchUp and go to SU2021 so you don’t need to rely on your internet connection to save and access your files.

i continued with the interior, so that probably didnt help, but i need to be able to do this in the future. if i upgrade to the cheapest paid version, how will i transfer everything onto it, how does it work?

The least expensive paid version would be SketchUp Shop which is also web-based. SketchUp Pro is the desktop client version. You would be able to access files you’ve saved from SketchUp Free in SketchUp Pro and typically you would be saving locally on the internal hard drive so there’d be faster access.

FWIW, if this is something for your work you need Shop or Pro anyway.

it says shop is web based as well, i wouild have to go for pro

See: https://www.sketchup.com/

Again, unless this is just a hobby thing, you need a Pro or Shop version.

well, at the moment it is just a hobby, but it will be more than that in the future. unless there is another way for me to be able to complete big projects like this, then i dont really have a choice.

Big projects notwithstanding, if these sorts of things are going to become part of your business, I think you’re going to want the capabilities and features of Pro anyway. The user interface is different than on the web version so it seems to me that you would be better off learning SketchUp with the desktop UI and get to grips with everything else. You actually have a good opportunity to already know the software before you need to use it in earnest. I have a number of students who are learning to use SketchUp and LayOut while they are working on projects for clients. It tends to be stressful and their work isn’t as good as it could be if they were already fluent in the software.

ok, i think i will give it a go and upgrade. just to confirm, how will it work once i upgrade? because my new additions and my work from today still arent saved on this file, so i dont want to close it. if i upgrade, can i keep the file open and save it afterwards?