Failed to save file

Yes that character is the Unix-like folder separator character.

“HVAC/PIPING” would be a relative path, from the current folder, to a sub-folder “PIPING”, of a sub-folder “HVAC”.

OSX should not let you name a single folder like that. (Windows will not let us use a certain set of characters, and when we try a “no-no” messagebox pops up.)

Hi Dan-

Yes, that completely slipped my sleep-deprived brain!

Thank you all for your help and feedback!

JO

I wondered if it was some disallowed character in the folder name. Glad you got it sorted out.

It’s a Finder weirdness. If you try to create a file or folder with a “/” in the name, Finder silently substitutes a “:” for the slash because slash is the path separator and is illegal in a file or folder name. The real name of your folder in the system is HVAC:PIPING (colons are legal because OS X does not use them as drive designators). No matter how HVAC:PIPING came to be, Finder will display it as HVAC/PIPING. But if you type this in a file selector, it will fail because the implied folder hierarchy doesn’t exist.

I love my Mac, but to be honest I think this behavior is not a good thing and could even be considered a bug! There should at least be a warning.

On Win7, if I try to rename the “meshmixer” folder by adding a slash, this pops up, and the character is ignored (but the renaming function is not interrupted):

In older Windows version I seem to remember a modal error messagebox interrupting the edit.

I am surprised that a MAC will let you make a folder containing a banned character in its name.
These banned characters are those used as file delimiters or search characters and include:
/:\*?"<>|
Also I think other suspects are a starting . or ~ or or even @

You need to make a folder named HVAC, and inside that another subfolder named PIPING.

there is a use case for allowing ‘Finder’ >> ‘New Folder’ to allow illegal characters…

e.g.
if you rename a text file with a slash in the name, you can open and read it manually, but it can not be read using code…

`open /Users/johns_iMac/tmp/bank_passwords/secret 2>&1`
The file /Users/johns_iMac/tmp/bank_passwords/secret does not exist.

quite handy if your paranoid…

john

I have also saving model problem. I can not save SketchUp and LayOut faile anymore.
In Expolorer does not change saving time of file.
If I do “Save” or “Save As” happen nothing. If I “Save A Copy AS” it saving (with different name), but I need to do every time new file. Before was everything OK.
I have SketchUp Pro 2016 64-bit, Windows 10 and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 card.
What I need to do?

Where are these files located ?
On the same drive as the application[s] ?
If they are on a network-drive or cloud there might be timing issues etc…

Do you [and everyone else] have full read/write permissions to the files’ folder ?

Hi TIG, thank you for answer. Yes, I have these files in Drobox and in my PC and in laptop and I have full permissions to folders. Drobox I use in work between PC and laptop. For example: if I changed drawing in PC I will do “Save” in PC and then “Save As” in Drobox. When I want use the same fail in laptop I will open it in Drobox and do “Save As” in laptop. But I can not do it anymore.

Hi. I did not read all the comments to understand your issue but I have problem exporting to 2D graphic and solved by lowering the output rosulution from 9000x9000 pixel to 8000x8000 pixel. If your issue is not related to exporting to 2D, it may be related to the file size. Hope it helps anybody on the same boat.

The full 9999 x 9999 pixels might succeed if you turn Antialiasing off.

My Sketchup can not export 2D like as picture.
I tried any type jpg, tif, bmp, png. It working just as pdf.

For animation, the results are same. just a black image.

Like as new member, I can not upload pictures… :slight_smile: (((
But you can see the results here Produce - YouTube.

Thanks a lot for your help.

This kind of issue often is caused by compatibility problems with the graphics adapter and/or its drivers. Your profile says you have some variety of Realtek adapter. I couldn’t find any reports of issues with that adapter, but you could try making sure the driver is updated to the latest. Do you also have the Realtek audio? There have been some reports of problems when that is installed, for example see Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow - #312 by TIG.

Edit: @DaveR started a new topic as this is a bit off the original thrust of this one. See the link above his post to continue discussion.

Yes, my audio card it’s also Realtek and my drvers are updated.
I can’t understand why doesn’t work, I make video editing and vectorial drawing on this PC and all working very well.
:frowning:

Hi!
I had the same problem. Turns out my hard drive was simply full. Everything was fine after a little clean-up :grinning:

Hope this helps someone!