Failed to open document! Can you help me?

I was working with this project but started inserting some models from warehouse and suddenly I couldnt export to 3D file, so I saved and closed. When I tried to open it again I got a window saying “Failed to open document”…

I’ve tried changing the name, opening the .skb, the .skp, changing the location of the document… Can you try for me?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17afdA6XqDwKzc72eSTFHbxm8kKYXPMT7?usp=sharing

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile says 2021 Make which is impossible.

At 730 Mb it took a while to open for me.

I fixed incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain untagged.
Screenshot - 6_3_2022 , 7_08_01 PM

Purging unused stuff eliminated this:
Screenshot - 6_3_2022 , 7_11_48 PM

You really should get in the habit of keeping your models clean. You wouldn’t have problems such as you are having.
That reduced file size by nearly 84%. It’s still got a lot of bloated components but it’s better.

wow! You saved me! Where is the new document?

So, what was the exact problem? I should untagg all edges and faces?

Still on my computer. Since you’ve supplied incorrect SketchUp version information in your profile I don’t know what version to save it as.

You should use tags correctly. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain untagged. ONLY groups and components should get tags.

The main problem is the file bloat. 92% of the In Model components are unused. 85% of the materials are unused. Lots of stuff for your computer to process that doesn’t need to be processed.

Well, my program says its a “Sketchup Pro 2021” but you say its not possible, apparently the other models I was inserting were not from the same version. I guess you can save it in a 2019 and I will be able to open it anyways.

But, what do you mean by “unused” materials and model components? I thought I was doing it the right way…

When some items -such as components- are deleted from your model view, they are actually still ‘in’ your model.

You can clean them up.

Window → Model Info → Statistics - Purge Unused

Your profile says Make not Pro which is the cause for the confusion. Please fix it.

Screenshot - 6_4_2022 , 12_19_00 AM

Deleting components and materials from the model space doesn’t remove them from the file itself. As @3DxJFD shows you can purge unused stuff from the model via the Model Info>Statistics panel.

Here is the purged file.

Thank you so much, I really didnt know this, thats way no matter how much things I deleted it was still a very big document to move and I have a really good pc

1 Like

Oh, apparently I moved the mouse a little bit when was selecting “pro” and made this mistake, thank you so much for your help!

Do you have a youtube channel to teach about sketchup? If You dont, you should do it, there no that much info around the web.

TheyDo!!!
The SketchUp You Tube Channel
The Learning Center
Pay attention to the Square One series.
The Learning Center is interactive. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.

I will spend sometime on these two, thank you!