Decent hatching

Dear Sketchup,

Please, please, please add a decent hatching tool to Sketchup. I use Skalp but that is quite buggy…Oh and line weights :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

(Moved to Feature Requests category.)

I wonder if this would be a tool or a style setting.
Wondering because the current section cut face color is a style setting. But this is global at this time.

It certainly would be an easier workflow if section cut faces could be hatch painted with a tool like the bucket tool. (Maybe a section brush tool?)

1 Like

In an earlier discussion I suggested that a vector hatch option could be added to SketchUp materials, using the same kind of .pat files used by Autodesk and other CAD applications. Then a style setting could determine whether SketchUp would display the hatch pattern or colour/texture.

10 Likes

Because .skm files are a zip container adding pattern files or SVG or whatever would be easy.

I’d think that older SketchUp versions would just ignore anything inside the archives that they didn’t expect. :crossed_fingers:

If it’s simple 'decent ’ hatching for in Layout, i.e. vector, then I discovered this discussion at Skectucation:

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=66503

I’m not suggesting it’s necessarily a solution for everyone… (it works for me)

And as for lineweights, then if it’s for Layout, you could look into Mike Brightman’s method of stacked viewports in Layout.

1 Like

Hi Paul, I tried all sorts of “workarounds” but, I think, this should be a standard tool as Sketchup wants to present itself as “all you need” as an architect. I get details and sections cuts how they should be drawn in the end, but it still is a struggle. Let’s be honest, Layout is still too buggy an way to slow to do with what it should do, but yes I 've found “workarounds”. I love SU, for more than 18 years, but it just needs that tiny perfection to become a complete tool for architects, interior architects and designers.

4 Likes

Or add a pattern generator to the forgotten StyleBuilder App

2 Likes

I second that… It’s one of most frustrating things when creating architectural plans to not be able to create proper vector hatches. I use Skalp also but it’s so slow and buggy that it’s frustrating to work with… Even just adding an option to use material on section cuts would be a big improvement already.

Please learn from Skalp and build a native solution.

4 Likes

adding styles to SB would be handy…

it’s only ever been an ‘raster’ edge builder with limited usefulness…

john

1 Like

I believe the hatching should be a Layout feature with the option to dynamically link hatch patterns to SketchUp materials, Sketchup tags, and Layout layers.

5 Likes

Exactly!

Yes I agree - this would be valuable. So Concrete in SketchUp looks like a rendered material, but in LO it look slike a hatch pattern.

Or a how about a new type of Face Style, so we would have:

Wireframe
Hidden Line
Shaded
Shaded with Hatches
Shaded with Textures
Monochrome

Or, make the Shaded mode include hatches/patterns?

1 Like

Contemplating this a little more, I would actually be content if there was a Standard set of hatch patterns of a really good quality - maybe a set with Landscape, Architecture and Engineering patterns, all High-res and with some customisation (colour, reverse, etc).

Not sure where it fits into this discussion but a lot of options are missing from LO including the patterns that get applied to things like Fences, Insulation, Walls, etc. These are “complex” line styles are often displayed as a hatch. (Usually I make them with custom rotated hatch patterns, but it’s an annoying process).

3 Likes

Still no hatching options for section fills in Layout 2021! :frowning_face:

But thank god they changed the SketchUp logo! (grmpff)

By marking it as a solved thread, the FR get’s lost…

2 Likes

This needs to happen ASAP. Not that difficult surely. Sketchup is presented as architectural design software and it lacks this crucial capability. Such a shame.

2 Likes