Customizing Toolbars

I am wanting to make a toolbar where i can pick and chose the particular buttons I use so that I do not have to have a big long bar for one button.

For Example:
bar

On this bar I only want the follow me button. From another bar I might just want “Position Camera.”

Is there a way to make up a bar with just specific buttons? (my terminology might not be accurate)

Yes. Go to View>Toolbars. Click on the New button to make a new toolbar. Then drag tools from other native toolbars to that new one. Hold Ctrl while you drag and you’ll copy the toolbar buttons over. When you are finished, turn off the unneeded toolbars.

I have two custom toolbars on the left side to replace the Large Toolset.

Screenshot%20-%202_20_2019%20%2C%208_41_51%20AM

I can get individual buttons out of the sets?

Yes. Try it!

Well that is too easy and intuitive. I did not think that could be the answer.

If you want me to, I’ll try to come up with a harder way to do it.

1 Like

lol I am tempted. :stuck_out_tongue: The draging thing does not seem to be working for me. Am I missing something?

For the benefit of readers who come across this topic: multiple custom toolbars are a Windows only feature. On Mac you only get the single customizable toolbar at the top of the view.

1 Like

You need to leave the Toolbars panel open to modify the buttons on the toolbars.

And yes, this is a Windows only thing.

AH HA! Okay that woks. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

I am going to be so organized.

Scary, huh?

LOL I might have a bit of office time on reorganizing my sketchup today… (no major deadlines today)

How do you make a new toolbar to replace one that is missing? Since I updated to 2024, several of the toolbars are checked, but they are no where to be found.
All I want for right now is the Dynamic Components toolbar.

The toolbar was docked in the upper righthand corner. I just think it’s so weird it is not there this morning.

I tried repairing the installation and made sure DC was enabled in Extensions.

The Dynamic Components toolbar is probably still there somewhere. Since it comes from an extension you can’t make a custom toolbar to replace it.

Was the toolbar really docked?

Is the tray docked on the right side of the screen? Is your SketchUp window maximized?

You could go into Preferences>Workspace and choose Reset Workspace. That might bring it back. Otherwise there’s another, slightly more involved step to bring it back.

Did you install SketchUp 2024 correctly? That requires right clicking on the downloaded installer and selecting Run as administrator.

Hi Dave,

Yes to everything. I even rummaged through every toolbar to see if I accidently move it into another one . I also moved my trays aside, reduced the size of the SU window, maximized it, the one thing I didn’t mention is that at home I work with one external monitor in addition to my laptop. Here at the office I work with 2 external monitors.

I didn’t think that would matter since the toolbar was docked.

It could still matter. Did you try resetting the workspace?

Yes, before and after the repair install. Well, I can still use my shortcut for the Interact tool in the meantime. I work from home again on Thursday so I will update then even if I don’t find it.

Or…I could just bring my home monitor here to test it out? What do you think? Thanks for all your help too.

That is a good idea. Most likely your missing floating toolbars are located on that missing monitor. (“off screen”)

2 Likes

I’ll bring it in tomorrow. See what happens. Thanks!!