Creating a hexagonal cone

Im trying to make a lamp top which is a hexagonal cone. I’ve managed to make a hexagon but now I’d like to pull the centre point upwards to create the slope. That’s request #1. Secondly, I’d like to have the dimensions shown changing as I pull the centre upwards. Third, I’d like to know how to pre choose the dimensions in the buffer. If needed I can send a photo to give whoever answers this request a better idea of where I’m headed. Thanks

With Follow Me tool

with Move tool

4 Likes

Wow, little knowledge goes a long way! I’m going to play around with this for a few days. I’m sure you’ll hear from me again. Anyway, thank you very much. I can’t wait to play with this. John

1 Like

Out of curiosity is this shape open on the top?

No, it’s a closed hexagonal cone.
Thanks, John

1 Like

Hello, I have managed to make considerable progress. I made a hexagon with a 166 mm. radius. The material is 5 mm. thick. My problem is to find the angle shown in the photo. I have tried many times using the protractor tool but I haven’t been successful. Can you suggest some thing? Thanks, John

You specified the radius of the hexagonal base, but not the height of the cone. And about that thickness, how did you draw it?
At that intersection you’ve indicated there are several angles, which of them do you refer to?
In SketchUp Free (web) with the help of Protractor tool you will be able to find out the angle.

Hello, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I did neglect to give the height, it’s 45 mm. To get the 5 mm. thickness I selected the end edges and used the pull tool draw down 5 mm. Somehow that gap at the edge is upside down, the gap should be at the top. I’ll work on that and I’ll keep trying the protractor to get the angle I want. I just have to keep on working at it. I keep getting a solid cone and I want a vaulted or hollow cone with 5mm material making the top. Your guidance is much appreciated, thank you, John

Here’s a protractor tool tip I wish I had learned sooner, maybe it will help you:

With the tool selected, left click and hold down the mouse button along an edge, and drag along that edge, then let go of the mouse button. . This will set the axis of the protracter. Then you can click once somewhere along each face in turn to get the angle you want to measure.

Another tip is with the tool selected, hover over a face that you want it aligned with, then touch the down arrow button on the keyboard. This should keep the protracter aligned with that face while you move it to the apex and points you want to measure.

What angle do you want to measure, drawn correctly you should have 60deg, as in 6x60=360

3D model with angles dimensions: con-hex.skp (278.0 KB)

Not positive, but I’d guess that he wants to know what angle to chamfer the panels at where they meet each other, if each face of the “cone” is made from 5mm thick material.

I got to a PC so this is my version.
Angle

2 Likes

Bingo! Yes, that’s it. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how challenging this is for me. However, it has forced me to think out of the box and just keep plugging away. I appreciate your insights, thank you, John

Yes, it is that edge.

Something is not right. I understand that there are 6 X 60 degrees in a hexagon. When I make a hexagonal cone with a height of 45 mm and a 166 mm radius and then measure using the tape measure tool from the top of the cone down the incline to the end of the 60 degree angle I get a reading of 166 mm. But this is line length on a flat surface. The reading, according to the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle should read 172 mm. Why is SketchUp giving me a reading on line length and not the true hypotenuse? It looks in SketchUp that I am pulling the tape measure from the top down the incline to the end of the angle but I’m getting the incorrect reading. I understand that SketchUp can only give me answers based on my inputs. When I physically draw that hexagon on paper and the use a ruler in conjunction with a small steel square and carefully place the ruler at the end of the 60 degree angle and carefully lift it to 45 mm on the small square I get 172mm which is exactly what my calculations using a calculator show. I don’t think that what I’m trying to achieve is so complicated but when I cut the wood to the measurements I’ve gotten from sketchUp the pieced just don’t fit to make a cone close to what I want. I think that with a height of 45mm and a line 166 mm perpendicular from the centre of the hexagon the hypotenuse should read 171.991127. I’m getting more confused rather than rather than less confused!

Can you share your .skp file so we can see what you are looking at?

I get 172.

I just uploaded trial 4 .skp and trial 3A .skp to 3D Warehouse. Can you look at it from there? I understand that you get 172mm. I’m going to have to start from the beginning to see where I went wrong. It’s 22:10 here in Japan and I have classes early tomorrow morning so I’ll have to leave this until Sunday or Monday. Thanks, John

I get the same dimensions when I work it out with a calculator and pencil. I’m doing something wrong with the SketchUp model. I need to look into it more carefully ! Thanks, John