How to make a 3D cone-shaped spiral

Hi

I have the spiral in 2d (highlight) and I want to make it turn into a cone, creating a ramp.

Similiar a helicoidal (yellow).

Thanks

I would draw the spiral using the Curve Maker extension (Extension Warehouse) and make it as tall as needed. Then draw a circle at the end and use Follow Me to extrude the circle along the spiral.

If you want a ramp with a flat surface, use a rectangle but instead of Follow Me use Eneroth Upright Extruder (Extension Warehouse).

2 Likes

As always, @DaveR gets there first, and with a very good solution.

For another approach try the SketchUcation Extension Warehouse for the SU Parametric Shapes extension SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation.

That has the options to draw common 3D shapes, and also a plain helix, a helical ramp, or a helical ramp with (sloping or vertical) sides.
Options for shapes:

You could use the helix option to create the path for FollowMe for a circular cross section, or use Eneroth Upright Extruder for a non-circular cross section.

The helical ramp has no thickness.

But you could use Fredo6’s Joint Push Pull to thicken it. Also available on the SketchUcation extension store (but not free beyond a trial period).

Or use helical ramp to create the top surface, and Adebeo PushLine (Search | SketchUp Extension Warehouse) to create the sides, and make a copy of the top surface, copy down to the bottom of the sides, and reverse faces.

1 Like