Creating a hexagonal cone

Make sure you pull the hexagon out on axis.

Is the radius measured from a vertex or from the middle of an edge?

From the vertex, isn’t that correct?

I’m measuring the radius from the center point of the hexagon from which the lines radiate, is this the correct procedure?

Can you add you model here, trying to find something like that in the warehouse is far from easy.

I didn’t realize that it would be difficult to find in warehouse. Where is “here” , “box?” How and where do I add my model? John

I hadn’t noticed you were replying by email. By ‘here’ I mean the forum where we can all see what is being said. Perhaps if you go to the thread in the forum you’ll understand what I mean.
The reply box has the ability to attach files, simply by dragging and dropping them in your message.
At the very least you could add a link to the models in the warehouse, copy and paste from the title bar.
Yes the centre to a vertex is the default radius when it comes to measuring, but you can also use ctrl while drawing to flip to the ‘flats’ of the hexagon. But I don’t think that is your issue.
I suspect you are drawing your hexagon off axis, meaning the vertex that is effectively attached to the cursor isn’t on the red, green or blue axis. This will alter the hypotenuse.
Off axis

1 Like

My confusing post was me replying from email, with an attachment. It seems to work too.

I cannot Drag and Drop, when I select the File to drag and drop it will not move. My cursor is on the red and blue axis, at least that’s what the info box that pops up says. I input the measurement in the Measurement buffer and click enter.

From the web version you need to download it to your computer first, top left icon/download.

When I Select the file there is no icon/download in the left top corner.

Web download

It seems that I’ve managed to do the attachment!

trial 3A-2.skp (194.1 KB)

I’m not sure what to tell you, your model isn’t telling why the dimensions are wrong.
I have no trouble drawing it above.

ok, I really appreciate your efforts here. I’m going to begin from scratch. I’m going to do this again from scratch until I understand the procedure. I need to work this out myself, but don 't get me wrong I do appreciate your help. I’m determined to work this out. It’s very likely that you’ll hear from me again. I don’t know why I’m excited about this but SketchUp is definitely stimulating.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.