Color bleeds beyond space created by solid lines

I created a system of 3 windows in SketchUp. I did it within the Front Face component.

To check my work I used Select to get out of the component and tried coloring some areas black. The black bled into surrounding areas as you see in the attached animated GIF.

Several times I went around the rectangle with the Line tool. I clicked at each corner.

Attached is the SKP file of the work on the geometry up to this point.

Why does the color keep bleeding out?

Peter Enns

Color Keeps bleeding beyond the solid lines
LH Hexagon Jan 4.skp (199.0 KB)

1 Like

The animated GIF shows the paint can circle outside of the rectangle. That is a problem with ScreenFlow. The circle was actually within the narrow perimeter.

Peter Enns

Go to learn.sketchup.com to learn about groups, components and materials on groups, components and faces.

3 Likes

You may have painted the small trim black. You can see that when I move your Front Face component, there is a face that is painted. The painted face is not part of your components or groups.

You have too many faces occupying the same space.

When I click near the other trim, it is actually selecting the big hexagon behind it.

Here’s what happens if I put paint on that.

Here’s what happens if I paint the entire component vs. painting a face inside of it.

Thank you very much for explaining in such detail. It’s much better than telling me to go back and study components & groups. (BTW, there are lots of things I’m learning that were NOT in the courses. For instance, I had no idea what Outliner was until this week when one of your colleagues posted the concept as part of an answer to one of my questions.)

So, I have a question about Outliner. As you can see from the attached animated GIF, the component called Window System Top is within the Front Face component. When I deselected to get out of the component and add some low opacity color to the window, the color went all over the place.

How do I manipulate Window System Top so that I don’t have this color problem?

Peter Enns
Can't separate window from face

LH Hexagon Jan 4 4 pm.skp (199.7 KB)

You’re still not getting the concept of ‘context’.
You are throwing a bucket of paint over the whole structure.
If you want to paint just the glass panes you need to enter the relevant group/component so that you are interacting with the actual face you wish to paint.
GIF 5-01-2024 11-57-13 AM

2 Likes

I think I got it now. See the attached 30 second animated GIF. Thank you very much for your help. You have saved me a huge amount of time.
How to isolate windows and color them

Let’s arrange your Groups and Components to make them easier to work with.

First, you have Side Walls inside of a Component named Front Face. This isn’t a logical grouping in my view, so I click and drag that group out of the Front Face component.

Now I toggle the Visibility of Front Face and Group off. I can see that there is still loose geometry hiding there. So I select all of that and create a component, “Beam”. I turn the Visibility of Beam off and turn the Group that has Sides in it back on. That stuff in front is most likely duplicated geometry from when you were creating the Front. So, I enter the Group context, select the face and lines and delete them.

Although there is only one component in Group, I’m going to keep it and rename it, “Side Walls”. That way I can put the other Side Walls (Right side walls) in there later. Since the last unnamed Group is going to be that side wall, I drag it into the Side Walls group.

Now since I’d rather have component Side Walls, I explode the Group and then immediately create a component, “Right side walls”.

Here the Front Face and Window System Top overlapping. What I mean is that part of the Front Face component is behind the windows. So I draw lines on the face where the windows sit.

Then delete that part of the Front Face component.

The Window System Top doesn’t have a back side, so I draw it. Notice that I’m getting into the context of the Window System and not just the Front Face component. It is nested so I have to click into each of them.

There is also some overlapping geometry so I draw those little lines and then delete the overlapping part.

I missed some of the little extra stuff that I need to delete. I’m going to take the Window System out of the Front Face component for better control. Then I draw the ends of the Window System to make it a solid component.

Okay, now to put the components into a Group, “Front”.

I rename the Front Face component to “Wall”. Then I drag the Beam into the Front Group because it belongs with the Front components.

At this point I’d start making window and frame components if I kept at it. I think you need to work on making components and putting them into groups. That way you can easily toggle visibility to isolate what you are working on. Then pay close attention to WHAT you are working on - meaning the context you are editing in.

Just a note, you don’t have select the face first to paint it, you just need to be within its context, I showed it selected just to show that I was that far into your nesting that the face was selectable and therefore paintable.

Oops, I spoke too soon. For some reason my windows are not transparent.

In order to be transparent, the windows must be 2D. So, I guess they have some depth.

Peter Enns

Here are some more quick vids. You’ll see I make Window components, Push-Pull so they have thickness and add the glass material. You have to apply the material to all of the faces, both front and back (and the sides).

Push window out.

Make window glass components.

Add thickness to glass.

I draw my own windows and add material as follows:
Draw the 2d window with frame, sash and glass. Each of those is push pulled such that their faces on one side have 1" separation, so there are three surfaces with the glass being a single face.
I usually push pull the frame to the thickness of the wall and the sash at 2" thickness. This looks great in plan and keeps the window simple.

First, paint the glass on one side with glass material. One side is enough.

Second, make the window a group.
Third, back out of the group if necessary.
Forth, you paint the group with color…
This will paint everything but the glass.
Window done.

You don’t have to be 2D at all. That has nothing to do with transparency. Box is correct here. You are coloring an entire group which is why you are getting that effect. There are instances when coloring an entire group works, but it generally creates issues, especially if you want to adjust that material in the group. It is always best practice to open the group and then apply the material.