Can't update Make 17

Using a Mac, .dmg install, prompted as to whether I want to replace older version with new one, agree, admin password, wind up with original version of Make 17, NOT M2.

I assume you quit SketchUp before attempting the update install? The update can’t alter a program that is running!

If you start SketchUp and choose SketchUp->About SketchUp, what version number does the popup say? The latest for Mac is 17.2.2554. If it shows an earlier version, I’d have to think that you don’t have the latest version of the installer dmg. Try downloading a fresh copy from Trimble.

Yes, I quit Sketchup before using the freshly downloaded .dmg.
First thing I did upon starting fresh version was to look up “about Sketchup”.
This is what I got:

This is the file I downloaded from Trimble’s portal (lower right, Make 2017, English version):

It occurred to me there’s no mention of an update, and looked for that in the portal, to no avail.
The disk image is still on my desktop, but I’m not going to run it again as is.
They say madness is repeating an action and expecting a different outcome…
How can I ascertain what version the .dmg contains before running it?

That’s odd. To check, I just downloaded the SketchUpMake-en.dmg from the Trimble site, and it is 17.2.2554. Are you certain you didn’t accidentally open the older installer from your disk?

It is possible to check the version before installing, but requires some technical savvy. How technical and/or daring are you?

Babe-in-the-woods grade…
The Finder asked me if I wanted to replace the old SU Make file with the new one, to which I agreed.
For the life of me, I can’t see where I went wrong. It’s not rocket science.
The app works fine as it is, so I’m not gonna take any unnecessary chances.

I just went through the steps of installing Make 17.1 (which is Pro at the time I first installed it), checked Finder and inside the app, and saw 17.1.173. I then opened the 17.2 DMG and dragged the SketchUp folder onto the Applications alias, and said yes, replace old version. After that, Finder and SketchUp both think that I have 17.2.2554.

One strange thing in what you said, I didn’t get asked for a password, the new folder replaced the old one ok. I am two whole decimal places ahead of you, I’m using 10.12.5, maybe Apple fixed something in the last three years?

BTW, in your profile it says you’re using Ketchup Make 2017. That missing S could be important…

Thanks, I’ll look into it…

I’m on macOS 10.12.4 (didn’t realize .5 was out yet…). @colin points out a non-techie way to verify: just navigate Finder to /Applications/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp and right-click “Get Info”. The version number 17.2 should show in the info panel.

You’re right about the misspelling of the version in my profile.
How can I edit it?

As expected, I get 17.1…

Click your avatar (the little image) at the top right of the browser window, then click the little gear-wheel icon to open the profile editor. If it isn’t already selected, click the Preferences button and then the Profile item in the column at the left. Scroll down a ways and you will see the Graphic Card, Operating System, and SketchUp Make/Pro version fields. Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom and click “Save Changes” after you edit.

What do you see as the created and modified dates? What shows at the bottom of the info panel about “Sharing and Permissions”?

I see you have fixed the SketchUp part, though the U is usually uppercase. Do you want to fix the OS part too? It currently says: Operating System: Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite

I’m almost always using a prerelease version of macOS (as it’s now called), and indeed, 10.12.5 is not out yet.

Sure…
What should my OS description read as?

Well, that’s definitely 17.1 and there is no evident reason there why it can’t be updated - you have write permission. That leaves the installer as the remaining suspect. Are you 100% sure you are using the .dmg you just downloaded, not a previous one? Double-check the info on the .dmg file (using right-click get info as you just did for SketchUp - don’t click the .dmg to open it). What dates to you see for Created, Modified, and Last opened? If they are old, you are not looking at the .dmg you just downloaded!

I had, here it is:

How come it’s the wrong .dmg? It popped up on my desktop when I unzipped the download.

If you wanted to be modern you could say macOS 10.12.4 Sierra perhaps. Or say Mac OS 10.12.4 Sierra instead, that’s more familiar to people.

About the About box, there are two odd things about it. You don’t have an option to open in low resolution, but that might only be there because my internal screen is Retina. And, it says SketchUp.app in the title. When I get info it only says SketchUp. Maybe that’s one of the changes in 10.12.5.

OK, will do…
Thanks, you’re a prince!
Or a princess, although your avatar leads one to think you’re a guy, which brings me to wonder what percentage, if any, of this community are women…

For comparison, here’s what get info shows for the .dmg I downloaded earlier today. I notice that the file size (shown as “Used”) is different. I don’t know what that signifies…