Can't download SketchUp Make 2017 for macOS

I’m trying to download SketchUp Make 2017 for macOS to use to plan my shop layout on desktop (I prefer that to web-based clients) and the macOS link is broken on the older downloads page. The other links still work, but macOS doesn’t, any ideas?

I’m afraid there’s not much that can be done.

SketchUp (or rather, Trimble) is trying to move its focus to its web and iPad versions instead of an old downloadable version.

See this help page:

Trimble is a company and therefore focusing on generating earnings for e.g. their employees making a living… or providing Sketchup Free as well as the 3D Warehouse and the Extension Warehouse still for free.

And for their shareholders.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say the focus is to move away from downloads, but rather that we have a free version in SketchUp Web and are focusing on that as the free version we discuss. As the version number (2017) indicates, it’s been at least 4 years since we’ve done any updates for that version and will not be doing so in the future. The more time passes, the more possible it becomes that it won’t run on the latest OS versions and the greater the risk that some security vulnerability on the OS it will run on puts you in danger. It’s just harder and harder to, in good conscience, encourage people to use something 5 years old, knowing that we will not be doing any development for that version either.

3 Likes

As someone who used to do software development, I completely understand this aspect. At the same time, if the download links are still on the site, they should work IMO. If the download links just weren’t accessible, etc. that’s one thing, but they’re available on the official site and they just don’t work.

I could easily spin up a Windows 7 VM on my desktop, isolate it from the network using a dedicated, walled-off NIC, and ensure that it stays secure that way to keep using the older version of the software if needed. My reasoning for not using SketchUp Free in the web is that on my extremely powerful MacBook Pro (or high-end video editing desktop), it’s extremely slow compared to what a desktop program would be, which is why I’d prefer to use the desktop-based Make 2017 instead of the web application.

2 Likes

of course, that’s the way it works.

The removal of the Make 2017 version will significantly reduce the number of users.
This will have a catastrophic impact for developers who sell their extensions.
SketchUp’s success is not made by itself! the developers have contributed greatly to it.